GIVE ME ALL YOU'VE GOT!!!
I have a 55 gallon tank that I had previously filled with water, expecting to run another freshwater. Then my stepmom said she wanted to get rid of the 2 Tomato clowns in her 72 to make way for some "Nemos". And then it was back to saltwater. So I have a few questions, 'cause I really want to make sure I'm doing things right.
1. should I dump the water (not literally, as I would be crushed if I moved the tank now
) and start with new water with salt mix, or should I remove the water, mix the salt, then replace bucket by bucket? It's been cycling for about three weeks already and I have put a previously used filter cartridge for bacteria.
2. My stepmom has 2 filters, one a Fluval fx5 for mechanical (I think), and an Aquaclear for biological. Should I also get 2 filters for seperate filtration types?
3. Is a hydrometer fine, or should I go out and get a refractometer?
4. How long should I cycle?
5. Where do you suggest getting base rock?
6. please tell me about powerheads and optimal positions.
7. Can you suggest a good protein skimmer, por favor?
Last, but most certainly not least, my most pressing
8. Which canister filter should I go with? Or should I go with one at all?
I have a bag of live sand, getting a 50 gallon thing of Instant Ocean salt, still need rock, and still need filters.
Thanks for your help in advance, I can't wait to start!