Brackishwater Equipment. - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-18-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Brackishwater Equipment.

Hello, I got a few questions. See Iam setting up a brackish water aquarium for my baby diamond back terrapin I acquired yesterday. Iam setting him up in a 55g for now, and Iam using sand. I was wondering, what is the best protein skimmer for the best price? I dont want to go over 100-200bucks(220bucks is the most id like to spend) Also I wanna use live rock, but my father worries that itll break the tank. How many pounds of live rock can a tank hold? Also Iam using a mix of rock salt and cichlid salt. How many cups of rock salt should I use to make atleast 1.009 in a 55g(Say exact water would be, 40-50gallons or so). also what else helps keep the tank clean and parasite free? I do water changes weekly. Right now Iam just trying to cycle the water. What are some strong hardy fish that can go in a 55 brackish tank?
Deku is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 09-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku View Post
Hello, I got a few questions. See Iam setting up a brackish water aquarium for my baby diamond back terrapin I acquired yesterday. Iam setting him up in a 55g for now, and Iam using sand. I was wondering, what is the best protein skimmer for the best price? I dont want to go over 100-200bucks(220bucks is the most id like to spend) Also I wanna use live rock, but my father worries that itll break the tank. How many pounds of live rock can a tank hold? Also Iam using a mix of rock salt and cichlid salt. How many cups of rock salt should I use to make atleast 1.009 in a 55g(Say exact water would be, 40-50gallons or so). also what else helps keep the tank clean and parasite free? I do water changes weekly. Right now Iam just trying to cycle the water. What are some strong hardy fish that can go in a 55 brackish tank?
Have you googled the care of Diamond back Terrapins ? I did,and found quite a few sources of the type of info your looking for.
Not many turtle keepers here I don't believe.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Have you googled the care of Diamond back Terrapins ? I did,and found quite a few sources of the type of info your looking for.
Not many turtle keepers here I don't believe.
I already know its care. Iam just asking about equipment. Such as protein skimmers, which are suggested for using. Since this species require clean water like salt water fish do.
Deku is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Member
 
bearwithfish's Avatar
 
i would go with a cora life 65 skimmer ... its in expensive (as these things go) and i have one that is wonderful!!!!!!
as for live rock not sure in a brackish system but in salt the general guideline is 1-1.5 pounds per gallon.... i have seen 100+ pounds in a 55 along with sand water etc....

Back in the Game!!! Live Bearers in a 40 Breeder
bearwithfish is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearwithfish View Post
i would go with a cora life 65 skimmer ... its in expensive (as these things go) and i have one that is wonderful!!!!!!
as for live rock not sure in a brackish system but in salt the general guideline is 1-1.5 pounds per gallon.... i have seen 100+ pounds in a 55 along with sand water etc....
Well whats the price on the skimmers? Also I cant use all of the tank for live rock. Just some ammount(1/3 or 1/4 of the tank), to make it not look barren, but at the same time have enough room space for the animal to run around the tank as it wishes. Is there a way to keep them in without being toppled? Like the turtle may topple them over so I was wondering about that. Because, I also wanted to have a few mangroves in the tank(2-3 red mangrove shoots) To give some color to the tank, and also I like plants alot so thats why.
Deku is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Also, does anyone know what kind of fish and inverts can live in the tank of a brackish water? I know its a chance for them to get eaten, but I have painteds with fish, I have musks with fish even res with fish. Nothing bad happens if they have hide outs and the turtle is well fed and the fish are fast or too slow to be noticed by the turtle. Id like to have hermit crabs(saltwater ones) but I dk if the salinity is too low(1.012)... Does anyone have a list of what I can keep in brackish water that isnt a pain in the keister to keep?
Deku is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help with equipment........ DAYCARE KID Saltwater Fish Diseases 1 02-05-2008 01:23 AM
equipment conversion LincolnS Vivariums and Reptiles 12 01-24-2008 04:36 PM
Equipment positioning Altohombre Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 1 01-09-2008 12:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome