Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   molly is pregnant.. need help plz (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/molly-pregnant-need-help-plz-99966/)

DjBootleg 04-28-2012 08:47 PM

molly is pregnant.. need help plz

Ok so I just four mollys two male two female.. hoping they would have babies... one of the female mollys looks like she is pregnant when I bought her, the lady said "looks like she might b pregnant" one of the males keeps bothering her so I assume she is prergnant and her belly is pretty big.. I bought a breeder cage. So I'm wondering if I should put her in there until she gives birth?? But I feel bad cuz its really not that big. I would feel bad cuz she can't swim around or anything.. but also I don't want her to be herassed by the male?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sam Crow 04-28-2012 10:56 PM

Me personally? I never use breeders for expectant mothers. I let them deliver in the tank, then if I want to save a few I scoop them up with a net. I then place them in a breeder or I put them in my quarantine tank (if unoccupied).

Most of the time, I just let nature take it's course and never save the fry. I provide plenty of plants, caves and hiding places for them. If they live, they live. If not, well then I gave them a fighting chance. I have 4 fry in a breeder right now. A Dalmatian Molly and 3 Mickey Mouse Platy fry. I saved them because I had room in one of my tanks for a few more fish.

Unless you want to become a breeder, then I suggest just letting the mother give birth in the tank and then save what you can find (they will be hidden in and/or under things).

As far as putting the mother in a trap/breeder, I'll leave that to the more experienced breeders here.

When my fish are ready to birth, the males will nip at her under-belly and swim below her in anticipation of a nice fry snack.

DjBootleg 04-28-2012 11:38 PM

Molly is pregnant help plz UPDATE W/ PICS

Here is my original post I put up about 2 or 3 hours ago at work.. I'm home now so I wanted to update the post with pics and more details.. I was gonna put her in the little breeder cage but I would just feel bad cuz its so freakin small... So I went to walmart and bought a little starter tank for ten bucks.. I am thinking about putting her in there until the birth and letting the little ones grow in there.. What do you guys think?? Also I made sure to take a gallon from the main tank and fill it with that.. So it has the bacteria etc... I am posting a pic of the tank and the molly.. Pretty sure she is pregnant.. What should I do.. Put her in now? Or wait?? Also she has been kind of been bothered by the male mollys.. Preciate any feedback..

http://i48.tinypic.com/u0mls.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/33w886e.jpg

SeaHorse 04-29-2012 01:43 PM

Hi DjBootleg
Welcome to TFK and to Fish mommy hood. lol. Yes definitely pregnant! She is squared off at the bottom front. I would pull her and move her right away over to the new tank. Give her a rest from the boys. Make sure your temperatures are the same. She needs a heater, not sure how warm it is where you are and if there is one in there.
She will likely drop the fry in early morning hours, check the next few mornings. She looks close. They drop fry about every 35 days.
Then it is always possible she might eat the fry so you may have to move her back right after. Good luck. Can't wait to hear all about it.
(I have Molly and Swordtail fry) I agree about the bigger tank than the little fry nets. They just look so bored when they can't swim around! LOL

DjBootleg 04-29-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1063181)
Hi DjBootleg
Welcome to TFK and to Fish mommy hood. lol. Yes definitely pregnant! She is squared off at the bottom front. I would pull her and move her right away over to the new tank. Give her a rest from the boys. Make sure your temperatures are the same. She needs a heater, not sure how warm it is where you are and if there is one in there.
She will likely drop the fry in early morning hours, check the next few mornings. She looks close. They drop fry about every 35 days.
Then it is always possible she might eat the fry so you may have to move her back right after. Good luck. Can't wait to hear all about it.
(I have Molly and Swordtail fry) I agree about the bigger tank than the little fry nets. They just look so bored when they can't swim around! LOL

I moved her and she dropped em an hour later. 9 healthy fry =) didnt lose one. Thanks!!!!!

Romad 04-30-2012 05:26 AM

Congrats on your new fishies. Post a few pics when you get a chance. We love pics!

SeaHorse 04-30-2012 08:27 AM

Yeah!! So exciting!! Are they not the cutest little things. Eyeballs and a tail! And Molly fry are actually big! I use actual Baby Fish food and I also feed 3 times a day. Little amounts more frequently after all they are babies and have a lot of growing to do. There are of course mixed opinions on this and budget and availability will dictate this for you. Otherwise crushed flake works.
They cannot go into the big tank until they are bigger than the biggest mouth living there.
Mom can go back any time.
Congratulations!! Pics please!

Assault0137 05-03-2012 09:18 PM

/bump
needs more pics!