Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   24" T8 Bulbs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/24-t8-bulbs-99948/)

Geomancer 04-28-2012 05:10 PM

24" T8 Bulbs

Suggestions? All I'm finding are extreamly expensive tubes... I looked at both Home Depot and Lowe's and in that size all they have are 4100K and under tubes which won't work. Most of what they have in this size is T12 tubes which boggles my mind because they don't sell any T12 fixtures in that size.:evil: Replacing the balast would not be a good economic decision as balasts cost more than the fixtures do.

On my 125 gallon, the 48" fixture lights up most of the substrate, but with the foot on each end having no light overhead, the floating plants are not getting much (since they are all hanging out on the ends of the tank.

The cheapest I've seen is the ZooMed NatureSun which is 6500K ... but also emits UVA which is probably not a good thing (it is ment for reptiles).

The ones for aquariums is UltraSun at 6500K but they are three times the cost of the 48" ones >.< TropicSun is 5500K which I know will work and is a few bucks cheaper per bulb (still twice the cost of 48").

Any other ideas?

Geomancer 04-28-2012 05:22 PM

Nothing like making a post to get a burst of insperation.

I haven't bought the fixture yet, so I'm still open for other possibilities.

I need a QT tank ... I had bought a 20g long, but it's too long for me to fit under my stand now that it's constructed (doh!). So, I was going to get just a regular 10g, and the standard hoods on those are 18" and I could put a pair of 15W CFLs. Not quite as good as the 17W tubes, but close.

Boredomb 04-28-2012 06:33 PM

Why not just order some online?
F17T8/765 Daylight Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb F17 T8 6500K 24" 17-Watt Lamp | eBay
(Not sure that link will work? If not let me k.own and will repost.)

Byron 04-28-2012 07:55 PM

Those look good. And I wouldn't worry about floating plants at the ends, they'll manage.

Geomancer 04-28-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1062317)
Why not just order some online?
F17T8/765 Daylight Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb F17 T8 6500K 24" 17-Watt Lamp | eBay
(Not sure that link will work? If not let me k.own and will repost.)

I didn't think to look on ebay haha. So many people on there charge high for shipping, but $4 I could do :p

Thanks!

Boredomb 04-28-2012 08:47 PM

Your welcome!

Geomancer 05-02-2012 04:29 PM

They came in today. I was pleasantly surprised to see they are Phillips brand, and not some knockoff no name brand. Checking the numbers on them confirmed they are 6500K. Well, they could be counterfeit, but good enough for me =)

That was a good price on them though. Anyone know if the 1 year rule is from manufacture date or is it based on hours of operation? Thinking I might buy more to stockpile ...

Byron 05-02-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1067186)
They came in today. I was pleasantly surprised to see they are Phillips brand, and not some knockoff no name brand. Checking the numbers on them confirmed they are 6500K. Well, they could be counterfeit, but good enough for me =)

That was a good price on them though. Anyone know if the 1 year rule is from manufacture date or is it based on hours of operation? Thinking I might buy more to stockpile ...

It is hours of operation. Fluorescent tubes emit light by burning phosphors, and as they burn the intensity decreases. It varies sometimes from brand to brand, depending upon how they're made, and I have read estimates from 1 to 3 years for the T8 which are better than the older T12. I found at 18 months that algae began increasing, and suspecting the tubes may be getting dim I replaced them. End of algae increasing. I now do this after 12 months, regardless.

A local chain pet store closed down about 2 years ago, and I got a bunch of Life-Glo at 1/4 cost. No harm in stockpiling.

Byron.

skelator 05-09-2012 07:03 PM

i ordered two of these bulbs. i got phillips one too and they look great.