Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 29 Gallon - Stocking Ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-29-gallon-stocking-ideas-99902/)

sparkyjoe 04-28-2012 03:58 AM

New 29 Gallon - Stocking Ideas

I'm going to be getting a new 29 gallon and I'd like to get some input. I'm leaning towards a betta sorority/community tank so here are my ideas...

- 6 to 8 Black Neon Tetras
- 6 or 7 Betta Girls
- 1 Bristle Nose Pleco
- Red Cherry Shrimp Colony (I know some may be dinner)
- Malaysian Trumpet Snails for the sand substrate

I've wanted to try some Habrosus Corys or maybe Khuli Loach, but I'm not sure I have room.

So, beat me up, what will/will not work with this plan?

Oh, and I'm in a "hard water zone" but I'm hopeful that by using drift wood & Indian Almond Leaf it will help (plus the black neons will really stand out in the tinted water).
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-28-2012 09:55 AM

How hard is the water? Wood and leaves will add some tannins but on their own will not shift water hardness much if at all, depneding upon the GH and KH.

Byron.

fish monger 04-28-2012 10:39 AM

As Byron said, the wood and leaves won't do much insofar as hardness is concerned. They would most likely lower the PH. Maybe try mixing in some distilled water to soften.

sparkyjoe 04-28-2012 05:20 PM

Well, it's not like we've got liquid rock pouring from the tap, I guess it's considered "moderately hard" being that it's right around 110-120 ppm (6 gpg).

I've read/heard that the Black Neons need soft water to breed, but I'm not planning on breeding.

I guess I'm most interested in whether this stocking level seems too high or if there are compatibility issues?

fish monger 04-28-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkyjoe (Post 1062309)
Well, it's not like we've got liquid rock pouring from the tap, I guess it's considered "moderately hard" being that it's right around 110-120 ppm (6 gpg).

I've read/heard that the Black Neons need soft water to breed, but I'm not planning on breeding.

I guess I'm most interested in whether this stocking level seems too high or if there are compatibility issues?

Your tap water is probably close to mine, fellow Buckeye. I have found that most fish will adapt. I really don't have any experience with a group of female bettas or fresh water shrimp. Your numbers seem right on. Again, I don't know anything about the shrimps' requirements. I'm assuming they're the same as fish. You might be able to sneak in a small group of Corys. The bettas get their air from the surface, so it's pretty much a matter of how much waste your system can handle.

Byron 04-28-2012 06:52 PM

That is soft water, around 6-7 dGH, so soft water fish will be fine. The pH isn't mentioned, what is it out of the tap? If this is above 7, it may lower naturally in the aquarim if the KH (Akalinity) is low which it often--but not always--is with a low GH.

Olympia 04-28-2012 06:56 PM

I think you have room for kuhlis in there. They need sand and will enjoy your soft water. :)

sparkyjoe 04-28-2012 07:06 PM

Thanks guys. I really like the look of the Black Neons, and hopefully they'll do well in my tank.