Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   feeding schedule (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/feeding-schedule-99863/)

tdOtjunior 04-27-2012 06:20 PM

feeding schedule

How many times a day do you feed your fish? What and when is it considered overfeeding

InsaneIchthyology 04-27-2012 08:31 PM

I feed mine once a day, in the morning and I've been doing that for 10 years and everything seems fine.

Tazman 04-27-2012 08:38 PM

My cichlids, twice a day and some days not at all...never had "Malawi Bloat" and all my fish are happy.

tdOtjunior 04-27-2012 08:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Some say once a day, others twice, also only 5 days a week at once a day. Just curious to know..was reading a post on overfeeding.

Byron 04-28-2012 11:50 AM

Fry need frequent feedings to develop properly, but most healthy mature fish need no more than once a day, and minimal at that, and missing days will do no harm; water change day is a good one to miss, as fish should never be fed prior to a water change or any similar disturbance.

If they are healthy, fish can go over a week without food; this is safest if you go away and can't find a knowledgeable fish person to feed.

Generally speaking, fish should always appear hungry; a hungry fish is a healthy fish.:fish:

Byron.

LasColinasCichlids 04-30-2012 07:49 PM

For my tanks, each has a different feeding schedule.

My 29g gets fed once a day, and I usually skip a feeding once or twice a week. They are all full grown. I tend to feed in the evening.

My 15g that is housing my new white half moon male betta, he is a youngster, so he is getting feed twice a day. Twice a day with his pellets, and a couple times a week, I substitute one of his pellet feedings with bloodworms to enhance coloring.

slojko 05-02-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1061948)
Fry need frequent feedings to develop properly, but most healthy mature fish need no more than once a day, and minimal at that, and missing days will do no harm; water change day is a good one to miss, as fish should never be fed prior to a water change or any similar disturbance.

If they are healthy, fish can go over a week without food; this is safest if you go away and can't find a knowledgeable fish person to feed.

Generally speaking, fish should always appear hungry; a hungry fish is a healthy fish.:fish:

Byron.

cant you use a vacation feeder?

thekoimaiden 05-02-2012 11:01 PM

Like so many other things, the vacation feeders are just ploys by the big companies to rake in a little more money. Putting that thing in your aquarium is the equivalent of plopping a huge mass of uneaten food on the gravel. They will cloud your water and spike your ammonia, not to mention the always hungry fish that gorge themselves and then get bloated. I know of more than one case where aquarists have used them and returned to a cloudy tank with dead fish. Like Byron said, a healthy fish can go a week without eating. Mine do it rather often as I have been away from home quite a bit recently.

slojko 05-02-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1067754)
Like so many other things, the vacation feeders are just ploys by the big companies to rake in a little more money. Putting that thing in your aquarium is the equivalent of plopping a huge mass of uneaten food on the gravel. They will cloud your water and spike your ammonia, not to mention the always hungry fish that gorge themselves and then get bloated. I know of more than one case where aquarists have used them and returned to a cloudy tank with dead fish. Like Byron said, a healthy fish can go a week without eating. Mine do it rather often as I have been away from home quite a bit recently.

thanks for the information, i have never used or bought them (but i have considered it). though when i visited petsmart today i noticed the new employee had put one of them in every tank (and they are all connected). ill start getting my fish from petco now because ive had other bad experiences with petsmart.

skelator 05-03-2012 08:22 PM

how often do you feed?

i just use floating pellets twice a day. they eat it all within prolly 30 seconds if that.