Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Your fish favorites (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/your-fish-favorites-99862/)

tdOtjunior 04-27-2012 05:14 PM

Your fish favorites

What kind of fish do you have and what do you feed them?? Anyone have cichlid favorites :-D

Sam Crow 04-27-2012 07:29 PM

I have a Betta, various Platy and Molly types, Cory Cats, and a few Kuhli Loach. I'm running 3 aquariums (29g, 10g and 3g). I also have a 10 gallon quarantine tank on standby. I'm not big on Cichlids and bigger fish. My wife wants a cichlid tank, so I'll break down and get her one in a few months. I prefer the smaller guys. We are thinking of adding a pond in the backyard for Goldfish. Not sure that will ever happen.

My favorite fish is my Albino Cory Cats. Just peaceful and fun fish.

I feed them the usual tropical flakes and blood worms. A few times a week I add algae wafers for the uninterested Cory Cats.

tdOtjunior 04-27-2012 07:49 PM

I was thinking of getting a few Molly's in a separate tank. If I had the space and opportunity I would do a pond with Koi!

penfin 04-28-2012 11:20 PM

Hmmm, favorite fish. Well, I have to say my absolute fav is the chocolate gourami. I plan to devote my two 29 show to them. I like kribensis, and keyholes, bred both they were fun. I also like the savori, love the lyretail. Angels are fun. My last breeding pair was a gold veil, male, and a black lace, female. Love the hifin shark, many of the plecos, the corys. Black ghost is another fav. There was a very unusual little cory I came across with a tall dorsal that was pretty imprssive but never found another one. I had black blotches and spots. Archers were always fun. Like fire eels. And a little fish I can't think of the name. It would sometimes show up in the spring with shipments. Rams are cool. Bout all I can think of. penfin

doki 04-29-2012 12:36 AM

i agree rams are pretty cool, cichlids are great but you need 50 gallon in my opinion for most there are some but not as cool as the larger aggressive cichlids. ALOT of cardinal tetras looks good too in a planted tank. if i could choose any fish or tank size id probably go with 90 gal planted wtih a school of electric blue rams,glolight tetras and panda corydoras.

penfin 04-29-2012 12:46 PM

Rams and tank size

I have a hundred gal that will be my comum tank. Agree, need the bigger tank for fish to be happy. will probably stick with the lyre tailed cichlid, keyhole, kribs and my corys to start with. Loved feeding tubiflex back in the day, but hated the darn leeches.Live brine where great but they don't have them where I am. Where I am now, I can take advantage of the mosquitos. Will get my 100 up and running and see how it goes but may not be able to resist putting in some rams. 90 would nice. I think I am going to miss my 150 and my two 55's but when they get so big that it is impossible for me to move them empty without help, makes it hard. May have to get another 55 tho. Just thinking out loud........ penfin

thekoimaiden 04-29-2012 02:01 PM

My favorite fishes are far from cichlids. I've never been a big fan of them because I think they look too much like centrarchidae (the common panfishes of NA). The only cichlid I do like are discus, but those really aren't beginner fish.

nags 04-30-2012 02:37 PM

I love my glass catfish, everyone is always amazed by them, you can see every bone and the swim blatter in them when I turn on my "moonlight" LEDs the just glow

Savannah 04-30-2012 03:11 PM

I LOVE killifish.For one there are OVER 300 VARTIES,crazy right?Some are sooo beautiful they look like a box of crayons.They are also really fun to own.They have huge pesonallites and are fun to feed cause you can litrally hold the food an inch from the surface and they will jump up and grab it!Wicked cool fish!