Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Other Aquatic Environments Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-aquatic-environments-journals/)
-   -   90G Vivarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-aquatic-environments-journals/90g-vivarium-99833/)

Redknee 04-27-2012 09:24 AM

90G Vivarium

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry for my long absence, I had a world of stuff to do and all in all just had little to no time for myself.
Because of this I had to dismantle my 90G aquarium and let it sit in the basement for a good time.
A few months back I became "free" again and now I have all the time I can want so I decided it's time for something new so I got into vivariums, reptiles, amphibians, etc.
Without any more chit chat here is my 90G vivarium that will soon house my 3 dendrobates leucomelas(yellow poison dart frog).
It has evolved a lot since the pics were taken, will update soon.

Termato 04-27-2012 01:12 PM

:O! WOW!

That is beautiful!

I want to do something like this for my snake one day. Really nice job!

Termato 04-27-2012 01:33 PM

I hope you don't mind me asking...how do you go about setting one of these up?

I am mainly interested in how you are circulating the water, what type of substrate in each part of the tank and how strong a lighting. I really want to do something like this but I have no idea how to go about doing it. I have only done fish tanks lol.

Thanks in advanced!

Redknee 04-27-2012 03:46 PM

Well first thing is to build a fake bottom where the water sits under the substrate so that the substrate is not soaked.

For that you need to use (most people use) "egg crate sheet", google it and look at the photos. What you do is cut a piece that is the exact size of your aquarium(L/l) and put it on the bottom. If you are going to mist the vivarium each day or often it is a good idea to suspend the egg crate sheet on a couple of pvc pipes(you basicly put a couple of pvc pipes under it to get it higher from the bottom of the vivarium).

Then you use fine mesh(fiberglass mesh) that you put on top of the egg crate sheet. Over that you put gravel, 3mm aquarium gravel is just fine, and over the gravel a layer of coco fiber potting soil. And you have your bottom.
It is a good idea to cut a hole in the egg crate sheet to put a pump inside(on the bottom of the vivarium) of it for water circulation and so you can change the water if needed.

For the walls you use polistiren that you cover in great stuff foam(or any other foam like it). Let the foam dry for 24 hours then completly cover the foam in silicone(aquarium grade) and then on the silicone you put a ton of coco fiber potting soil and let it dry for 24 hours. Then just use silicone to glue the walls to the inside of the vivarium(make sure you cut the polistiren to fir the inside of the vivarium!).

And that is the basis. Then just add plants that fit the vivarium(if you have high humidity use plants that enjoy high humidity and so on).
Plants that like high humidity are ferns, plants in the bromeliaceae family(very common in any plant shop), creeping fig ficus, orchids. Remember that bromeliaceae and orchids do NOT like to be planted in substrate, they are epiphytic plants. You cam make holes in the walls to put these kind of plants in or put them in pots with NO substrate around the roots.

You will need a mist sistem and even if I have a DIY one I really recommend using a Mist King sistem. Google it.

As fir the light you need the same light and "power" as for a planted aquarium.

If something is unclear go ahead and ask also ask any other questions you might have even if they sound dumb as dirt(I know I had my own and everyone does when they start in this hobby).

Termato 04-27-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redknee (Post 1061222)
Well first thing is to build a fake bottom where the water sits under the substrate so that the substrate is not soaked.

For that you need to use (most people use) "egg crate sheet", google it and look at the photos. What you do is cut a piece that is the exact size of your aquarium(L/l) and put it on the bottom. If you are going to mist the vivarium each day or often it is a good idea to suspend the egg crate sheet on a couple of pvc pipes(you basicly put a couple of pvc pipes under it to get it higher from the bottom of the vivarium).

Then you use fine mesh(fiberglass mesh) that you put on top of the egg crate sheet. Over that you put gravel, 3mm aquarium gravel is just fine, and over the gravel a layer of coco fiber potting soil. And you have your bottom.
It is a good idea to cut a hole in the egg crate sheet to put a pump inside(on the bottom of the vivarium) of it for water circulation and so you can change the water if needed.

For the walls you use polistiren that you cover in great stuff foam(or any other foam like it). Let the foam dry for 24 hours then completly cover the foam in silicone(aquarium grade) and then on the silicone you put a ton of coco fiber potting soil and let it dry for 24 hours. Then just use silicone to glue the walls to the inside of the vivarium(make sure you cut the polistiren to fir the inside of the vivarium!).

And that is the basis. Then just add plants that fit the vivarium(if you have high humidity use plants that enjoy high humidity and so on).
Plants that like high humidity are ferns, plants in the bromeliaceae family(very common in any plant shop), creeping fig ficus, orchids. Remember that bromeliaceae and orchids do NOT like to be planted in substrate, they are epiphytic plants. You cam make holes in the walls to put these kind of plants in or put them in pots with NO substrate around the roots.

You will need a mist sistem and even if I have a DIY one I really recommend using a Mist King sistem. Google it.

As fir the light you need the same light and "power" as for a planted aquarium.

If something is unclear go ahead and ask also ask any other questions you might have even if they sound dumb as dirt(I know I had my own and everyone does when they start in this hobby).

Wow thank you!

I looked up the egg crate things and found some great pictures on how to do that part.

So you are creating this raised layer of soil so that the water can go through the soil and not stay in one spot and become stagnant? It kind of works as a filtration system I would image right?

I am guessing/assuming you do weekly water changes to this tank?

So you literally just glued coco soil to the plastic that went on the walls? Fascinating.

I am assuming this is a closed top environment to keep the moisture in? What kind of lights are you using? 6500K?

Redknee 04-27-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 1061240)
So you are creating this raised layer of soil so that the water can go through the soil and not stay in one spot and become stagnant? It kind of works as a filtration system I would image right?

I am guessing/assuming you do weekly water changes to this tank?

So you literally just glued coco soil to the plastic that went on the walls? Fascinating.

I am assuming this is a closed top environment to keep the moisture in? What kind of lights are you using? 6500K?

Yes you are avoiding stagnant substrare/water. It doesnt work as a filtration really(well it could) as there is no need for it as long as you dont have fish in the water.
Water changes... never. I just take out some water when it gets to close to the substrate. No need to change the water as nothing is there to make it dirty.
Yes, you cover the polistiren in foam and the foam in silicone and put a ton of coco on the silicone and push it down a bit so it sticks. Just make sure the coco fiber is 100% dry or it will not stick(trust me, I am talking from my own misfortune).
Top is closed yes but you can/should add a few holes in it to let some air go in and out(or the air inside will become saturates in co2).
Most people say that you should not use plexy to cover the top as it bends in time from the heat so maybe you should use glass. Myself... I use plexy, I enjoy defying ... stuff :D
And yep, 6500K.

willow 04-28-2012 04:49 PM

simply outstanding !
i will enjoy seeing the new arrivals too. :-D

Redknee 04-28-2012 07:11 PM

Thanks willow, will be posting photos of the frogs soon. At the moment they are still shy.

Boredomb 04-28-2012 10:50 PM

That tank is just Awesome! I would love to know what plants you have in there? That is if you don't mind?

willow 04-29-2012 04:13 AM

i might have to make something on the same lines for my
fire belly toads.
i now have 20 frogletts,some of which still absorbing their tails,and still
about another 15/20 tadpoles sprouting back legs,and front limbs :shock:
i'm thinking of keeping most,and trading some for new blood if you get
what i mean.
anyhoo, yes please do keep up with pictures :-D