Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - Strange symptoms in platy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/strange-symptoms-platy-99793/)
Strange symptoms in platy
1. Tank size: 1g (I have VERY limited space in my apt)
2. Water parameters
3. Tank at room temp.
5. How long the aquarium has been set up?: 4 months
6. I have a Mickey Mouse Platy, I've had him for 4 months. He is the only fish I have.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants) No.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? 1 fake plant.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Stones.
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? 1 hollowed out "house".
9. a. Filtration?
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
Natural light for about 8 hours a day. No direct sunlight exposure.
11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
I change the water once a week. 100% water change, and clean plant, house and gravel.
How often are they fed?
Flakes, once a day...I tried feeding him mini pellets but he stopped heating.
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?
Not eating, not pooping. Small signs of tail rot, slightly bloated, scales beginning to seem more raised. Small loss of balance (does "handstands" on bottom of water, and swims mostly on top)
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?
Melafix, aquarium salt.
Probably a host of problems caused by no filtration (ammonia/nitrite poisoning) Too small a tank, no space for the bacteria to grow (related to nitrifying bacteria) and no heater (platies need warm water, close to 77F)
As far as the filtration problem, live plants could help. Airstones can also help fish recover from a lot of problems.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.