Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   questions about getting a plant (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/questions-about-getting-plant-99718/)

lefty07603 04-25-2012 03:47 PM

questions about getting a plant

I have some platy and some cherry shrimp so i would like a couple plants for hiding, i need low light plants that are easy to keep. Any ideas?
Also, would i need to start putting different nutrients in the water to suppot plants?
I was considering getting fake plants but i heard real plants help the tank.

Thanks in advance

snoopy65 04-25-2012 04:01 PM

Java moss, java fern, anubias, hornwort, pennywort, frogbit are all low light plants that do not require anything special to be done for them to grow in your tank

lefty07603 04-25-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy65 (Post 1059232)
Java moss, java fern, anubias, hornwort, pennywort, frogbit are all low light plants that do not require anything special to be done for them to grow in your tank

Thank you sooo much, by low-light how much light does it need?

snoopy65 04-25-2012 07:20 PM

1-1.5 wpg. Most standard lighting that comes with a tank has this amount

lefty07603 04-25-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy65 (Post 1059456)
1-1.5 wpg. Most standard lighting that comes with a tank has this amount

Sorry for all the questions but do i turn off the light at night?

snoopy65 04-25-2012 08:35 PM

no problems, how else are you suppose to know.....yes turn the light off at night

lefty07603 04-25-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy65 (Post 1059551)
no problems, how else are you suppose to know.....yes turn the light off at night

Thank you, ill be adding some java ferns soon for my cherry shrimp. I love this community. Im obviously a newbie and i notice everyone is mature and just loves to help each other out

Boredomb 04-25-2012 10:50 PM

Cherry Shrimp love Java Moss also. It will manage in low light settings as well. Another thing I wouldnt worry so much about WPG as I would about the right color spectrum the plants need. A full spectrum bulbs work great. Something like Zoo meds Ultra Sun Super Daylight bulbs. You can also go to any hardware store and pick up a Daylight bulb around 6500k. Do you know what kind of bulb you have?
Another thing is you need or should dose fertilizer with any live plant you have in your tank at least once a week. A good brand is Flourish Comprehensive. Its a liquid fertilizer that is easy to dose.

lefty07603 04-25-2012 11:18 PM

Ok thanks, ya i was thinking id need liquid fertilizer. Once i get the java moss to the wanted size do i just fertilize less than before. Also, will jova moss help keep ammonia levels in check? Thanks

ladayen 04-25-2012 11:25 PM

Low light plants tend to be slow growers, and therefore dont tend to eat much ammonia. You will need alot of java moss to have much of an effect. Also you will probably want to tie the java moss down to driftwood or a rock. Otherwise it will ball up and grow algae on it.

Water Sprite is a good plant to leave floating. Once it adjusts it will grow long roots that fry can hide in, as well allows infusoria to grow providing healthy and free fry food.

You want your lights on about 8 hours a day.