Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   55g for Acei cichlids? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/55g-acei-cichlids-99669/)

Brandonl87 04-24-2012 09:51 PM

55g for Acei cichlids?

Hey guys I was thinking of converting my 55g tank which houses guppies to a cichlid tank i was thinking maybe 5 Acei's ? and keeping the pleco thats in there? the tank is planted pretty good has 2 Amazon swords 2 Anubias. a few java ferns and some watersprite floating. any suggestions? please help

Tazman 04-24-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonl87 (Post 1058534)
Hey guys I was thinking of converting my 55g tank which houses guppies to a cichlid tank i was thinking maybe 5 Acei's ? and keeping the pleco thats in there? the tank is planted pretty good has 2 Amazon swords 2 Anubias. a few java ferns and some watersprite floating. any suggestions? please help

You can keep them perfectly fine in that tank, in fact you can have 12-15 cichlids in that tank.

They do get to about 6" and to add some color contrast look at some yellow labs perhaps as well.

A point to consider is cichlids need a lot of filtration about 10-15 times the tank volume as they are messy, they are moderately aggressive to the each other..they are best kept in 1 male to 4 females groups as once the male gets into breeding mode, it helps spread the aggression over several females and not just one.

Plants out of the ones you have, they will eat them all except the java fern, I have tried amazon swords and have anubias in the tank now, and my acei ate them...water sprite again, I would not recommend it as acei like to swim all over the tank and are likely to munch on them as well.

Lake Malawi is a naturally sandy bottom lake with a lot of rock structure, this would be the theme of your tank, sand, rocks and more rocks!

what pleco do you have?

Brandonl87 04-24-2012 10:09 PM

[quote=Tazman
what pleco do you have?[/quote]

Its a bristlenose pleco. hes probably about 3-4Inches right now. so i should take out the plants then and put them in my GBR tank i guess. Also my wife was looking at fish at the store.. and likes the blood parrots... please tell me this will not work with the Acei cichlids so i can tell her that and show her lol. So whats a good number combo with the yellow labs and acei maybe 7 of each?

Tazman 04-24-2012 10:18 PM

BristleNose Pleco is perfectly fine with them.

They actually are not compatible as they are man made SOUTH AMERICAN hyrbids whereas your acei are African. They do however tolerate a broad range of water parameters so in theory it could work.

7 of each sounds good if you only want 2 species.

You could perhaps add a third species such as Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid) or Red Zebra (please note these will crossbreed with the yellow labs, so you would not want to sell, giveaway any of the fry, keep them for yourself)

As I mentioned you want to try and get 1 male to several females or unsexed juveniles and then once they get old enough to sex (they can be hard as males and females look the same), then you can correct the ratios.

Brandonl87 04-24-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1058568)
BristleNose Pleco is perfectly fine with them.

They actually are not compatible as they are man made SOUTH AMERICAN hyrbids whereas your acei are African. They do however tolerate a broad range of water parameters so in theory it could work.

7 of each sounds good if you only want 2 species.

You could perhaps add a third species such as Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid) or Red Zebra (please note these will crossbreed with the yellow labs, so you would not want to sell, giveaway any of the fry, keep them for yourself)

As I mentioned you want to try and get 1 male to several females or unsexed juveniles and then once they get old enough to sex (they can be hard as males and females look the same), then you can correct the ratios.

Ok cool sounds good from what Ive been reading theres really no differences with males and females? so how do you sex them? My LFS have unsexed juveniles of acei and yellow labs so probably will have to correct the ratios later on. As for filters right now i have a HOB tetra that came with my 55gal tank and sitting around i have 20gal whisper HOB filter. so probably will need to pick up a new filter. I havnt really looked up those other 2 species ill look them up :) thank you for the info.

ladayen 04-25-2012 03:34 AM

I wouldn't recommend rustys with acei or electric yelllows. They just dont get very big and they can have issues holding their own.

I would keep an eye on your pleco. My larger plecos often get picked on by the mbuna, had to pulll a few from the tank previously.

As to the blood parrot, it would likely be killed eventually. They are not capable of standing up against a defensive/aggresive mbuna.

Snappyarcher 04-25-2012 06:48 AM

The ideal set up for an Acei is rocks and more rocks and a sandy substrate.... forget the plants and make the water alkaline.... about the 8 to 8.5 mark...... The only other necessity is high oxygenation. Forget plants they are an unnecessary and unnatural intrusion.I would be wary of bristlenoses as they are southamerican and more ranging towards acidophilic. Thus this would nto be fair on a bristlenose.

Tazman 04-25-2012 07:32 AM

I have had BristleNose Plecos in my tanks for 7 years and no issues whatsoever with the acei.

My acei and Rustys play with each other, they are not harassed at all by the other fish I have in the tank (see 75g tank signature)

Another bottom feeder to consider is Synodontis Multipunctus which also works well with mbuna.

Sexing them usually involved venting them but this can only be done once the fish matures a bit, it is also not something you want to do regularly as it involves removing the fish from the tank and physically checking its vent area.

Brandonl87 04-25-2012 10:45 AM

Ah ok well today after work were going to go and get 5 acei yellow labs an red devils im thinking. Still deciding lol :-P
Posted via Mobile Device

Brandonl87 04-25-2012 11:59 AM

Ok another idea popped in my head about the filter. Instead of the HOB oversized would a canister be better?
Posted via Mobile Device