Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Paradise fish tank size... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/paradise-fish-tank-size-99666/)

Olympia 04-24-2012 09:28 PM

Paradise fish tank size...

So, I had paradise fish as a kid, I love them (though mine were in horrible care before). My family has a soft spot for them.

The TFK profile for them says 25 gallons.
Another fish site says 25 gallons for a pair.

Are these really active fish or something?
I wanted to get a lone male, though. Nicely planted tank... is 25 gallons needed for a single male? I was hoping a little smaller, around 10 gallons. I'm not trying to challenge the facts, just curious if the number is smaller for a lone male. He'd do fine on his own, right? :lol:

Is there any non-betta anabantid that would do well in 10 gallons? :s

Tazman 04-24-2012 09:45 PM

They are somewhat aggressive, get to about 2 inches and need a planted tank with open swimming areas.

Sounds about right a 25g needed for a pair, a single fish probably slightly smaller...I have never kept one but considered it and am going off memory here.

Olympia 04-24-2012 10:04 PM

Yea, don't want to have 2 or more. Just one male. 10 gallons would be all the room I could reserve for him on his own. Might even end up female, all the ones at the store are so washed out it's impossible to tell.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 04-24-2012 10:06 PM

If you have Big Als anywhere near you, check them out, they usually have them or at least can order them for you?

Olympia 04-24-2012 10:23 PM

Nawh. Small town. We have a few local stores. There's a good one about 20 minutes away that I'm dying to go to.
I love the roundtail species. Too bad they aren't that common. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 04-24-2012 10:28 PM

Order online?

Olympia 04-24-2012 10:38 PM

I wish. It seems like a lot of hassle. There aren't many Canadian online fish shops I know of either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 04-24-2012 10:51 PM

These guys ship and it is not really any different than collecting a parcel only it is live!

Check here, also this site (even though it is mainly cichlids, Spencer actually sells many other species and ships Canada wide)

Byron 04-25-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1058554)
Yea, don't want to have 2 or more. Just one male. 10 gallons would be all the room I could reserve for him on his own. Might even end up female, all the ones at the store are so washed out it's impossible to tell.
Posted via Mobile Device

In my view, a 10g is way too small for any fish attaining close to 4 inches. A 15g or 20g at 24 inches is minimum, with no other fish of course.

Olympia 04-25-2012 02:50 PM

Darn. No paradise fish for me. :( I really like the Macropodus spechti, but they can get even bigger than 4". Maybe someday. Weird how betta are the only anabantids that thrive in small spaces.