Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Want to trick out my 29 gallon eclipse

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  onefish2fish 
#1 ·
I currently have a 29 gallon eclipse that has been cycling for about 2 1/2 weeks. I am currently using the factory setup but I have added 2 LED strips to supplement the factory lighting because my ballast is not functioning properly so I only have one operational bulb. I have also added a hydor koralia pump to increase the water circulation. I want to have the best water quality I can. I am thinking I want to purchase a protein skimmer, a high quality canister type filter, and a UV sterilizer. I need advice. I have had several different tanks in the past I am on my 3rd go around with a 29 gallon eclipse and I have not had the best luck in the past. I would rather spend the money upfront and get really good equipment instead of spending the money and grief on fish that die because the water quality is poor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures when I have my setup complete. Thanks.

#2 ·
Spend it on a Sump. That'll trick it out.
A Skimmer will definately help with water quality, and proper water movement, yours should be in the 300gph range and above for tank. No need for the UV Sterilizer, they only kill free floating bacteria. Cansister Filters are dicey, they become Nitrate factories in a hurry. Bes to watch your Nitrates and clean that thing out weekly, if not more.
You should also have at minimum 30lbs of Live Rock.
A Sump would get you the best water quality possible, using macro algae and SW plants. As these will suck out the excess nutrients inthe water column.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.