Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Check out the new 55G Tall (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/check-out-new-55g-tall-99590/)

Egrant 04-23-2012 10:17 PM

Check out the new 55G Tall

7 Attachment(s)
This tank has been set up for a little over a month. Transfered everyone from the 25G into this new home. This tank is more or less the wifes tank (hence all the coral looking decoration). We have been looking for a good background wiht no luck, at this point no background is starting to grow on us. Filter is an Aquaclear 110 (AWSOME FILTER)

here are the occupants.

2 Tin Foil Barbs
2 Sunshine Gouramis
1 Gold Gourami
2 Skirt Tetras
8 Danio's
1 Fat Bellied Molly (with HUGE dorsal fin)
2 Penguin Tetras
2 Upsidedown Catfish
1 Chinease algea eater thing.

Attachment 53406

Attachment 53407

Attachment 53408

Attachment 53409

Attachment 53410

Attachment 53411

Attachment 53412

Adamson 04-24-2012 12:53 AM

Looking good!

1077 04-24-2012 07:32 AM

I like the tank very much!
Don't know that I would agree with fish selections.
You have mixture of fish that don't share similar water requirement's which often times leads to stress = sickly fish.
The Gourami prefer soft warm water 78 to 82
degrees F, while the danios prefer cool hard water 76 degrees F being the upper limit's.
Paradise fish and Gourami may not get along for long ,both being territorial but 55 gal may offer enough room.
Tin foil barb's get very large, (12 inches) and prefer to be in groups of five +.
Tetra's prefer cool, slightly acidic water as opposed to hard water, and they too do best in groups for it gives them a source of comfort with other's of their species present.
A couple different species of upside down catfish , some stay small, (4inches) and the other's grow to around six or seven inches if memory serves me.
Chinese algae eater's oddly enough ,aren't from china and as they grow larger,,they lose interest in algae eating, and turn their attention's to nipping,chasing,other fishes = stress = sickly fishes.
Things could be fine for a few weeks, months,just suggesting some things that you may wish to consider.

CatSoup 04-24-2012 08:52 AM

Lovely!

Egrant 04-26-2012 11:20 AM

1077, I agree that this is not the best of situations for these guys, BUT they were ALL in a 30G for a very long time, I got them from a guy who was moveing almost a year ago. He had them for almost a year and then i kept them in the same size tank for almost a year. They definatly like the new room!!

Geomancer 04-26-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egrant (Post 1060045)
1077, I agree that this is not the best of situations for these guys, BUT they were ALL in a 30G for a very long time, I got them from a guy who was moveing almost a year ago. He had them for almost a year and then i kept them in the same size tank for almost a year. They definatly like the new room!!

Yes, but they're still stressed. Makes them susceptible to diseases, and reduces their life span.

So while on one hand it may look like everything is fine if they live 3 years or so, until on the other hand you realize they should of lived twice as long, or longer. Some fish can live for decades.