Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Bleeding Hearts and Bolivian Rams? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/bleeding-hearts-bolivian-rams-99562/)

AxelG 04-23-2012 04:24 PM

Bleeding Hearts and Bolivian Rams?

Hi,

I would like to keep a schoal of Bleeding Heart Tetras with Bolivian Rams. I think, that the Bleeding Hearts will disturb the Cichlids when they are breeding. I don't know, if this a good idea. I had rams with roberts tetra in the past, but no experience with Bleeding Heart.

Greetings

Axel

snoopy65 04-23-2012 04:26 PM

In general the bleeding hearts will be fine with Bolivians, but what size tank, how many of each species, and any other livestock?

AxelG 04-27-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy65 (Post 1056898)
In general the bleeding hearts will be fine with Bolivians, but what size tank, how many of each species, and any other livestock?

Hi,

I have got 7 Bol. Rams (3 Adults - 6 cm, 4 small - 3 cm) in a 300 L Tank, densely planted, CO2,pH 6.5, Hardness 8 dH.
I am planning to add a school of 7 - 10 bleeding hearts.
My Imagination is, that the Bleeding H. could make trouble within the lower region of the tank, because the Rams are very calm fish and need the lower region for breeding.

Best regards

Axel

snoopy65 04-27-2012 11:04 AM

If I am correct, that works out to about an 80 gal US tank. I would say you have nothing to worry about and both the rams and the bleeding hearts will not only be fine, but be happy together in that tank.

Termato 04-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxelG (Post 1061005)
Hi,

I have got 7 Bol. Rams (3 Adults - 6 cm, 4 small - 3 cm) in a 300 L Tank, densely planted, CO2,pH 6.5, Hardness 8 dH.
I am planning to add a school of 7 - 10 bleeding hearts.
My Imagination is, that the Bleeding H. could make trouble within the lower region of the tank, because the Rams are very calm fish and need the lower region for breeding.

Best regards

Axel

Do you have any other fish in there?

If you don't I'd suggest getting about 15+ Bleeding Hearts just to keep them more to themselves in a nice big tank like that.

IMO i'd go with like 20 False Penguin Tetra Or 20 Cardinal Tetra. But that is just me.

Snoopy you are right, it's about 80 gallons.

Byron 04-27-2012 03:35 PM

I believe this species is mid-level in the tank. I have not personally kept it, but the several other related species in this rosy clade that I have maintained also swim in the lower half of the tank. This is pretty much the same are that Mikrogeophagus altispinossus frequents. But the latter is usually fairly able to defend against characins as they are not active at night. At 3 inches, this species is one of the larger.

Axel, I know you are familiar with Hemigrammus pulcher as we discussed this species a while back, and that would be a good match as it stays almost mid-tank and slightly above.

Byron.

AxelG 05-01-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1061211)

Axel, I know you are familiar with Hemigrammus pulcher as we discussed this species a while back, and that would be a good match as it stays almost mid-tank and slightly above.

Byron.

Hi Byron,

I think Hemigrammus pulcher would be a good match and is very calm. I would like to keep them both in a dimly lit tank with some plants and driftwood. I want to keep the Bleeding Hearts in a second tank with also 80 Gallons (300 Litres).

I still have 10 Hemigrammus pulcher and want to add a few more. The problem is, they are very rarely in local fish stores. Breeders in Germany dont have them, maybe they coudnt get customers to buy this species.

Axel

Byron 05-01-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxelG (Post 1065770)
Hi Byron,

I think Hemigrammus pulcher would be a good match and is very calm. I would like to keep them both in a dimly lit tank with some plants and driftwood. I want to keep the Bleeding Hearts in a second tank with also 80 Gallons (300 Litres).

I still have 10 Hemigrammus pulcher and want to add a few more. The problem is, they are very rarely in local fish stores. Breeders in Germany dont have them, maybe they coudnt get customers to buy this species.

Axel

They are not that common over here either. I had them back in the 1980's, then i next saw them 3 years ago. Last week I found some again, so I got another 15.

I got a group of Bleeding Hearts this morning, have never had these but I have lots of space in the 115g and this is a characins that can get close to 3 inches, so i thought it would be nice in with the H. pulcher, rummys--and a male Bolivian;-). He's a grandpa now, I've had him almost 4 years which is their normal lifespan.

AxelG 05-02-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1065819)
I got a group of Bleeding Hearts this morning, have never had these but I have lots of space in the 115g and this is a characins that can get close to 3 inches, so i thought it would be nice in with the H. pulcher, rummys--and a male Bolivian;-). He's a grandpa now, I've had him almost 4 years which is their normal lifespan.

Do you still have the Robertsi-tetra? I saw them listed in your tank-profile. That will be a nice tank - rummy-nose, H. pulcher and Bleeding Hearts. Next weekend I am going to buy a small group of Bleeding hearts, because I can't resist. :-D
I am thinking about energy-saving lamps or small LED-Spots for my second tank, because H. pulcher looks better in dimly lit areas. I think it also should be pet-filtered. When the work is done, I will send the pictures. ;-)

Best Regards
Axel

Byron 05-02-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxelG (Post 1067070)
Do you still have the Robertsi-tetra? I saw them listed in your tank-profile. That will be a nice tank - rummy-nose, H. pulcher and Bleeding Hearts. Next weekend I am going to buy a small group of Bleeding hearts, because I can't resist. :-D
I am thinking about energy-saving lamps or small LED-Spots for my second tank, because H. pulcher looks better in dimly lit areas. I think it also should be pet-filtered. When the work is done, I will send the pictures. ;-)

Best Regards
Axel

Yes, I have 10 H. bentosi (Roberts) in this 115g, and now the 7 BH and 17 H. pulcher, one male Bolivian, a trio of Chilodus punctatus, the woodcats in their tree:lol: and more than 30 corys that have spawned and I have found at least 3 fry that have survived swimming among the adults.

Looking forward to photos.:-)