Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   what substrate to use? Have Celestial Pearl Danios (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-substrate-use-have-celestial-pearl-99505/)

fishybert 04-23-2012 03:17 AM

what substrate to use? Have Celestial Pearl Danios

Hi peeps,

i'm planning on using light colored gravel for a 10-gallon tank that a school of CPDs will call home. The reason is rather self-serving -- i want to see the little ones better when they swim around. i noticed in my current tank(w/ multicolored gravel) that they're pretty hard to spot without putting your face up the tank.

i plan to add some driftwood with java ferns sticking out of it as the centerpiece.

Your thoughts? tia

Olympia 04-23-2012 04:55 AM

They'll be more faded with light gravel.
Have you though about a medium colored sand? or river rock gravel?
I'd use a dark driftwood. And lots of plants. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-23-2012 12:50 PM

Yes, a sand substrate, lots of wood and plants, and especially floating plants. The substrate could be common playsand, or you can buy black aquarium sand (much more expensive, but for a small tank not too bad if that is what you want). You do need lots of plants, and floating are essential for this species. They will not have good colour without dim light which is best achieved by a good cover of floating plants. Water Sprite is ideal for this. Java Fern attached to the wood will work well as it is a low light plant.

Byron.

fishybert 04-24-2012 12:27 AM

hmm, i kinda thought having light colored gravel/sand would help contrast the little ones, since they're a bit dark-colored.

i hope to get started on my tank over the weekend...dang deadlines at work keep popping up :p

Byron 04-24-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishybert (Post 1057601)
hmm, i kinda thought having light colored gravel/sand would help contrast the little ones, since they're a bit dark-colored.

The reality is the opposite. Fish that come from habitats with dark substrates, which covers most of the fish we keep, will be more colourful over dark substrates and of course with less overhead light from floating plants. I have seen examples of this in many characins and even corydoras, that changed their background colouration (light/darker) depending upon the substrate. A fish over a bright substrate will naturally feel threatened because it is un-natural, and that means less colourful and more stressed.

fishybert 04-24-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1057840)
A fish over a bright substrate will naturally feel threatened because it is un-natural, and that means less colourful and more stressed.

Yeah, that's what i thought too. Their natural habitat is SE asian rivers with mud at the bottom.

Dark gravel it is then. Thanks!