Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   8 Hour Power Outage (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/8-hour-power-outage-9947/)

Amphitrite 12-12-2007 04:14 AM

8 Hour Power Outage

I got home from work last night to find a letter from my electricity supplier to say that next Monday the power will be out from 8am till 4pm for essential maintenance. The letter states that the power could be out for longer if there are any problems.

I'm a bit concerned. I don't think the water temperature will be a problem - I'll just put the room heating up overnight, it's the filter I'm worried about. I have an internal filter built into the tank which cannot be removed.

Any advice folks? Will it be okay to leave the filter for this length of time?

Lupin 12-12-2007 05:45 AM

Leave the filter there as it'll remain wet there anyway.

beetlebz 12-12-2007 02:35 PM

i think itll be just fine, like lupin said as long as everything stays wet. Or... you could tell your fish that they are BAD fish for pottying in the water and they need to use the little fry's room! :D

I slay me :bluelaugh:

Jasey 12-12-2007 04:50 PM

It seems like it would be OK without running for the hours that the power is out. I believe you can get battery operated air pumps to keep the oxygen circulating, too.

Lupin 12-12-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasey
I believe you can get battery operated air pumps to keep the oxygen circulating, too.

I chatted with her last night regarding this and she said she may not have the time to grab one. Fortunately, she'll be there on the day the power outage happens so she'll have to open the hood and stir a bit to ensure the fish won't run out of oxygen supply though I am sure they'll be fine. I had been into this several times.

Kate, I think you should get the battery-operated airpump next time just for emergencies.

Jasey 12-12-2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
I chatted with her last night regarding this and she said she may not have the time to grab one. Fortunately, she'll be there on the day the power outage happens so she'll have to open the hood and stir a bit to ensure the fish won't run out of oxygen supply though I am sure they'll be fine. I had been into this several times.

Ohh okay. That's good. I had to use a straw to blow bubbles one time when the power went out for air flow in my tank. :P

MattD 12-12-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasey
Ohh okay. That's good. I had to use a straw to blow bubbles one time when the power went out for air flow in my tank. :P

I'm afraid we exhale C02, not oxygen. :wink:

@kate

You should be all right, mine has been off for longer before.

Jasey 12-12-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattD
I'm afraid we exhale C02, not oxygen. :wink:

Very true.. but it circulated the water around, helping the more oxygen rich water at the top move towards the bottom.

MattD 12-12-2007 07:46 PM

Next time, try vigorously stirring the water in erratic circles, works great for me. :D

southafrica1001 12-12-2007 10:07 PM

hehe actually we do breath out some oxygen :shock: lol just a useless fact for all those who want to know lol