Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Anubias First Bloom (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/anubias-first-bloom-99433/)

phluid13 04-22-2012 11:17 AM

Anubias First Bloom

2 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would share my first bloom picture from my Anubias. Haven't posted in a while and changed the lighting to a dual T5 fixture. The flower is underwater, is that going to be a problem at all? Other than that, I am pretty happy to see my first bloom on this plant. Thanks everyone for all the great information on this site. It's been a great help.

Edit: And added a close-up as well.

SeaHorse 04-22-2012 11:28 AM

Yeah Congrats!! Doesn't look to be a problem!! But now you've done it!!! Now we want to see the whole tank too! :whip: :rofl:

Byron 04-22-2012 11:50 AM

Looks very nice. Anubias will bloom submersed. When the flower browns remove the stalk.

phluid13 04-22-2012 12:52 PM

Whole Tank

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the whole tank as requested. I recently realized that some plants I purchased from Petsmart were, in fact, not true underwater plants and not submersible. Currently looking for alternatives for the plants. The only ones that I have that are true water plants are the Anubias that I got from Petco which seemed to be much more helpful. I am going to go take a look at a locally owned fish store to see what stock they have of underwater plants. I want to make this tank into a lush environment.

If I don't find anything I am looking for, does anyone have any suggestions for online vendors of aquarium plants instead? I want to replace that fake large plant on the left with a real one that will grow to that kind of lushness. Any suggestions? Plus, my tank lighting is the dual lamp T5 (I believe NO). It has two 18W lamps in it. One is a 6700K lamp and the other is just a Colormax. Here is a link to the lamp: LINK and LINK. My tank is a 56G Column Tank at dimensions: 30L x 18D x 24H. Is this lamp sufficient enough for other types of plants. I'm beginning to wonder if I can only have low light plants. Should I invest in a T5HO Dual Lamp Fixture instead?

At any rate, here is the tank picture and I plan to have a much better environment in the future, just need to be sure I have the proper equipment before diving into more plants that I will only kill in the end. Any suggestions or feedback, greatly appreciated. Everyone here has been such a great help already, so thank you.

Byron 04-22-2012 01:10 PM

That is a slightly deeper tank, so it will depend upon the plants selected. The fixture is T5 so it should take HO tubes if you decide that. My 90g and 115g are both 2 feet in depth, and my T8 full spectrum tubes provide sufficient light but I might have trouble with substrate carpet plants if you intend those. But they can also get you into CO2 and such. Pygmy chain sword will manage fine with what you now have, or should, for the substrate. And some nice tallish plants, something like Echinodorus cordifolius [click shaded name for data and photos] would look nice, just one.

Byron.

phluid13 04-28-2012 08:38 PM

Thank you, Byron. I will be trying out these plants very soon. I will let you know how they work out for me.