Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   New Tiger Oscar I think might have HITH??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-tiger-oscar-i-think-might-99415/)

mandi85710 04-22-2012 01:51 AM

New Tiger Oscar I think might have HITH???

3 Attachment(s)
I just bought 2 tiger oscars today. When I got them home about an hour later I was sitting by my tank looking them over. Well I noticed a spot on the one and I am not sure if I am just paranoid or if it may be sick or have HITH? He is in my 75G tank and has another one in with him I bought today also. They swim side by side all over and love it. The one with the issue is about 2.5in and the other one is 3in.

Any help would be appreciated and if that is what it is what is the best way to treat him and is it contagious???

Also he was a little stressed at me taking his pics so he was losing his black and turning that funky brownish/green color other than his bright orange.

rrcoolj 04-22-2012 08:17 PM

It is not HITHD they just look a little beat up. Nothing a little TLC won't fix. By the way though, that tank is too small for both those fish long term.

snoopy65 04-22-2012 09:07 PM

Lots of clean water should fix it up......and a larger aquarium....personal opinion with 2....minimum 75 gallon and preferably 100+ with a 6 ft length.

Tazman 04-22-2012 10:17 PM

2 is asking for a lot of trouble in a 75g tank long term. They can be extremely aggressive to each other. One in a 75g is about the limit with some small dither fish.

Tazman 04-22-2012 10:18 PM

Purchase some Melafix as well, it will not harm the fish adding it to the tank and will help clear up any wounds in a short space of time as well.

1077 04-23-2012 12:02 AM

Twice weekly water changes now and throughout the tank's life would heal the fish quickly, and also help maintain water quality.
I agree that fish only look's a little beat up.Good quality diet with variety of prepared food's (No Feeder Fish ), and fish will grow quickly.8-)

mandi85710 04-23-2012 02:25 AM

Thank you all so much for your input and help. I will get the melafix. Also They are not staying in this tank but for maybe a month at the most. I am moving to a downstairs apartment (the one below me) so I have not started cycling that tank yet. They will be in there as soon as I get moved and the new tank is cycled. Then my BRP's (I have 2) will be in that 75G one with the extra filtration. Right now they are in my other 75G tank. So I am going to have a 100G for my Oscars and then the one 75G for my BRP's. I am putting my 55G, 30G, 29G, 20G and 10G in storage.

I just moved to Arizona not to long ago and I own a house still in Ohio which is why I had so many tanks (5 bedroom house). There was more than enough room. I am out here to take care of my grandparents b/c I am a nurse and they are not doing well and do not want them in a nursing home. So I think instead of so many tanks all over I will store thrm until I move back to my house in Ohio.

So no worries they will be in a big tank. I did a lot of research on them before I bought them b/c I like to know what I am getting into and if I can afford it and have room. I wasn't thinking of putting anything in with them b/c I know when they are big enough everything is food to them.

Right now their diet consists of blood worms, brine shrimp, cichlid color enhancing pellets and I put a slice of cucumber so they have it to nibble on. But I process all their food myself. I get the cucumbers and spinach from a all organic grocery store across the street from my apartments. I blend everything together including the blood worms and brine shrimp then spread it out and add non flavored gelatin to hold it all together and then freeze it. They love it. They are still to small for earthworms and things like that and I would NEVER feed them feeder fish unless I raise them on my own and know they are healthy. Those poor things all jammed in one tank like they are with ick and dead fish floating around it is sad.

I am so happy it is not HITH!!!
But again thank you all for the advice. I need to update my tank info. Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy65 (Post 1056120)
Lots of clean water should fix it up......and a larger aquarium....personal opinion with 2....minimum 75 gallon and preferably 100+ with a 6 ft length.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1056207)
2 is asking for a lot of trouble in a 75g tank long term. They can be extremely aggressive to each other. One in a 75g is about the limit with some small dither fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1056208)
Purchase some Melafix as well, it will not harm the fish adding it to the tank and will help clear up any wounds in a short space of time as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1056289)
Twice weekly water changes now and throughout the tank's life would heal the fish quickly, and also help maintain water quality.
I agree that fish only look's a little beat up.Good quality diet with variety of prepared food's (No Feeder Fish ), and fish will grow quickly.8-)