Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   A thank you post (with pics)! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/thank-you-post-pics-99306/)

Chesh 04-20-2012 07:28 PM

A thank you post (with pics)!

I just wanted to drop in and give another 'thank you' to all of you who have been so helpful in answering my questions on everything from lighting, nutrients, driftwood, and plants. . . I've come a long way in the last two months! Here a couple of pictures of my tank, as it is now!

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...nkprogress.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...angle2medi.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...sectionmed.jpg

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...hetopedita.jpg

In the hopes that it will help someone else out there, I'll put up the planting list for this tank. . .

I dose once a week with Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, and have a single 24" 20W Life-Glo 2 bulb (it's a 29 gallon tank) that is on for around 10 hours a day.

Anacharis (Egeria densa), as well as Anacharis narrow Leaf, (Egeria Nanas), Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) and Lace Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'), Pigmy Chain Swords (Echinodorus tenellus), Crypts (Cryptocoryne Wendtii), Fanwort (Cabomba Caroliniana), African Water Fern (Bolbitis heudelotii), Italian Vals (Vallisneria Spiralis), and floating Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) Oh! And my little Marimo moss ball (Chladophora aegagropila) named Tribble.

The plants have been added bit by bit over the last 2 months, though most of them going in when I finished my planting around 3 weeks ago. Thus far, I haven't lost any plants, and I'm already seeing quite a bit of new growth on most of them. I haven't had any problems with algae, and my Nitrates and Phosphates are testing at 0!

The driftwood is Manzanita, I got really lucky and found a piece that was almost EXACTLY what I had in mind for the tank. . .

Some of these plants I've chosen might be considered 'iffy' under these conditions. So far so good - I'm hoping they will continue to do well. I'm really looking forward to learning a lot about them as I watch this little drama play out in my tank!

Please feel free to let me know if you've caught onto something I've done wrong, and again - thanks to all of you who have helped me along the way! :-)

Olympia 04-20-2012 07:34 PM

That tank is GORGEOUS.
Your kuhlis look happy, all out in the open!
Did you buy the driftwood or find it? It's awesome.. I really want a branchy piece like that instead of a solid chunk.

Chesh 04-20-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1053651)
That tank is GORGEOUS.
Your kuhlis look happy, all out in the open!
Did you buy the driftwood or find it? It's awesome.. I really want a branchy piece like that instead of a solid chunk.

Thank you! I'm really happy with how it's coming along, and so far it's just as I envisioned it! I'm kind of terrified for my first big bump in the road, so to speak - hopefully my beginner's luck stays strong!

The Kuhlis DO seem to be very happy - they never actually hide, though they do enjoy getting tangled up in the plants just as much as we enjoy trying to find them all! I only have three at the moment, they will be joined by another three just as soon as the newbies are through their QT period. I read up on them quite a bit before bringing some home, and expected to never see them - quite the opposite has proven to be the case - these little guys are a delight, and usually the easiest of our fish to spot! I started with three just in case I ran into trouble with the substrate. It's Tahitian Moon Sand, which I've read can be too abrasive for them. They don't burrow (thus far) but they don't seem bothered by it, either - and certainty do their fair share of rooting around for hidden goodies! Very playful little guys, I can't wait to see how much fun they'll be when their numbers are where they should be!

I bought the driftwood after much research. Like you, I prefer the branchy (or rooty!) look, and didn't want to take up valuable swimming space in what is a fairly small tank. . .the driftwood is Manzanita wood, which is a hardwood and ideal for my tank because I wanted to keep things 'natural' but add as little water-softening tannins as I could get away with to my already soft water. It doesn't seem to be a terribly common wood for the aquarium - I had quite a bit of trouble digging up information on it. I'm not sure why, because it's beautiful, and ideal in many ways for the tank. . .

:)

Olympia 04-20-2012 08:46 PM

Haha, I notice the black mollies seem to blend in a lot.
I'm going to the fish store tomorrow.. But they have crazy over priced driftwood.
I have a few worn branches I found near a lake.. But they've been floating for over a week and haven't sunk, so I'm thinking maybe they're a bad idea.
What's the long stringy plant to the far left? There's also some in the center.

Chesh 04-20-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1053745)
Haha, I notice the black mollies seem to blend in a lot.
I'm going to the fish store tomorrow.. But they have crazy over priced driftwood.
I have a few worn branches I found near a lake.. But they've been floating for over a week and haven't sunk, so I'm thinking maybe they're a bad idea.
What's the long stringy plant to the far left? There's also some in the center.

YES! There are two adult Dalmatian Mollies in there (not so great for soft water, I know - but they're happy and BREEDING - did you see the 6 fry?!) One is black, one white - BOTH are NINJAFISH! *giggle*

Both of the plants you mentioned are Anacharis, they are SUPER easy to keep and grow faster than you'd believe! Easy to propagate, too! I started off with between 1-3 'shoots' of each, and already have a ton! The one on the left is the narrow leaf version (Egeria Nanas) and toward the middle is the 'normal' Anacharis(Egeria densa) . I originally got them to help me with the novice mistake of an accidental fish-in cycling. Since they grow so fast, and are floating plants, they make a great ammonia sink - then I decided that I liked them, and got the narrow leaf version, too!

Sometimes you can find Manzanita sold on E-bay, and I've seen it up for sale by members on various forums, one being The Planted Tank. The trees/shrubs grow like weeds in California, I'm told - if you know anyone out there have 'em send you some over! I got lucky - I asked my LFS about it just as they were about to do a driftwood order. They don't normally carry it, but got a few pieces in - and let me go through them first. I was so happy when I found the right one for my tank! Good luck!

Olympia 04-20-2012 09:05 PM

Oh, just a narrow leaved anarchis. Good to know! My tank needs some more plants badly, plus I have a new one to fill :D
There was a few twigs of mazanita on ebay.. They look pretty cool, considering it.

Chesh 04-20-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1053784)
Oh, just a narrow leaved anarchis. Good to know! My tank needs some more plants badly, plus I have a new one to fill :D
There was a few twigs of mazanita on ebay.. They look pretty cool, considering it.

LOL! Yup! Everything in my tank is considered to be a 'beginner' or 'easy' plant - otherwise, I'd be outta luck! Anacharis is a great one for someone like me who has more than one tank to fill on a budget. At this rate it won't be too much longer before I have more than enough to go around! ;-)

Love to hear how your tank(s) end up - good luck again on your quest for Manzanita!

Hanky 04-20-2012 09:12 PM

that is one beautiful tank you have, I dont believe I helped you in anyway but its very nie of you to post a thread like this often we never hear back from someone to know how they made out with our advice. You seem to be well on your way, dont worry about bumps in the road we all deal with them no matter how long weve been doing this. I just love your use of drift wood in there looks very natural, keep up the great work

Olympia 04-20-2012 09:13 PM

The shipping for the twigs was $36... no thank you. I hope I find some too, found a place in Cali, I wonder if it's legal to ship twigs to Canada. xD
If not I'll just get some dark driftwood from pet smart.. ugh.

Chesh 04-20-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1053800)
The shipping for the twigs was $36... no thank you. I hope I find some too, found a place in Cali, I wonder if it's legal to ship twigs to Canada. xD
If not I'll just get some dark driftwood from pet smart.. ugh.

ARGH! Customs! Shipping! What a bummer! :shake: Don't give up - I'm sure you'll find some eventually!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanky (Post 1053797)
that is one beautiful tank you have, I dont believe I helped you in anyway but its very nie of you to post a thread like this often we never hear back from someone to know how they made out with our advice. You seem to be well on your way, dont worry about bumps in the road we all deal with them no matter how long weve been doing this. I just love your use of drift wood in there looks very natural, keep up the great work

Thank you!!! I'm in love with it, and hope everything continues to thrive - both plants and fish! I've gotten a LOT of help from the members of this forum, and gained a very good (and experienced) friend, to Boot! I'm very glad I've found this site - I was so lost when I stumbled in and made my first posting. I've come a long way since then! Even if you didn't help me, specifically, I'm sure you've helped others, and perhaps when I hit those evil bumps, we'll cross paths again - so you get a big THANK YOU, too!

:thankyou: