Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Glo Danio Spazzin Out / Sick ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/glo-danio-spazzin-out-sick-99283/)

Ongaku 04-20-2012 03:57 PM

Glo Danio Spazzin Out / Sick ?

1. Size of tank? 5gal

2. Water parameters no kit/no time currently to get one unfortunately
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature? same as above

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? fresh

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 2 months?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? had 5 danios and 2 guppies and 1 albino corie, guppies got fin rot and passed a week after i got them, cories lovin it, danios are/were fine. one got sick (?) recently. is now quarantined

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? uh no, but the danios have been in there from day 1 and i havent added anything new in a month

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? had live plants from day 1, they werent doing so well - low light levels - so i removed them
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? gravel/glass stone
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? i have 2 japanese lanterns/little figurine dude made from the same stuff and a ceramic bridge. all 3 have been in for about a month

9. a. Filtration? yes
b. Heater? no

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? natural/sometimes a 10w eco friendly florescent bulb
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? not direct, uber indirect room light

11. a. Water change schedule? once a week-week and a half
b. Volume of water changed? 30%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? tap
d. Water conditioner used? aqua safe
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? nope

12. Foods? flakes
How often are they fed? small crumbled pinch twice daily

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? just the 1 danio hiding at first, then abnormal swimming/darting/digging into gravel/not eating. now in the qratine tub he originally couldnt stay sunk - i put a stone in there for him to hug against to stay down. he seems better as of late for the staying at the bottom, but doesnt swim much anymore dunno if hes starving. ill pu food in once in a while but it doesnt get eaten i think/. this is going on a week now i change his water frequently to keep it oxygenaed, but not 100%. hes not "bent" like fish tb and theres no bumps. he seems almost as if hes paralized sometimes. cant control his direction. =(
b. Appearance of poop? none now
c. Appearance of gills? normal?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? quarantined and use of melafix and aquasafe all i got right now
b. What meds were used? see above

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.will get later

im thinking internal parasites or fish tb, maybe even constipation, but hes not bent enough for tb and constipation woulda passed by now?

Olympia 04-20-2012 04:25 PM

5 gallons is pretty much only good for a betta or a lone dwarf puffer.

Danios need huge tanks, and with so many fish in a small tank, you probably have built up toxic levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, especially since you don't change your water enough for the tank size and bioload...
Has the tank gone through the nitrogen cycle?
At minimum, you should have a 20 gallon (though 30 will be better) tank for these fish. You should also have at least 3-4 cories of the same species, he will eventually stress from being alone and die...

I doubt your fish has TB- TB is one of the few disease you can catch from fish, and as you know is quite dangerous, and it will spread around quickly. I have yet to hear of a TB case from fish on this site... TB is a very serious matter, if this happened you have to go to the hospital immediately for testing, as it is airborne. You'd have to trash the tank and euthanize the fish.. there's no safe way to clean everything.
Quote:

Tuberculosis
•Symptoms: Fish will start acting sick for no apparent reason. They could just die. Symptoms include weight loss, lethargy, open sores, deformities (scoliosis, bent spine), raised scales, fin and tail rot, gray lesions, and many others. Generally, if your fish are dying in large amounts everyday, it is probably TB. BEWARE HUMANS CAN CONTRACT TUBERCULOSIS FROM FISH, IT IS A POTENTIALLY DEADLY DISEASE.
•Treatment: There is no known cure, it will generally kill all fish that come in contact with it. It is highly contagious. Bleach does not kill it so throw away all supplies...
Considering that you have that many fish- I am pretty positive the sickness is caused by high toxin build up in your tank.

From him not being able to sink, I suspect he has developed swim bladder disease.. Sometimes you can cure it, sometimes you can't.. I'm not sure about treating it for fish other than betta so I'm not going to suggest anything.

Ongaku 04-20-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1053413)
5 gallons is pretty much only good for a betta or a lone dwarf puffer.

Danios need huge tanks, and with so many fish in a small tank, you probably have built up toxic levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, especially since you don't change your water enough for the tank size and bioload...
Has the tank gone through the nitrogen cycle?
At minimum, you should have a 20 gallon (though 30 will be better) tank for these fish. You should also have at least 3-4 cories of the same species, he will eventually stress from being alone and die...

I doubt your fish has TB- TB is one of the few disease you can catch from fish, and as you know is quite dangerous, and it will spread around quickly. I have yet to hear of a TB case from fish on this site... TB is a very serious matter, if this happened you have to go to the hospital immediately for testing, as it is airborne. You'd have to trash the tank and euthanize the fish.. there's no safe way to clean everything.

Considering that you have that many fish- I am pretty positive the sickness is caused by high toxin build up in your tank.

From him not being able to sink, I suspect he has developed swim bladder disease.. Sometimes you can cure it, sometimes you can't.. I'm not sure about treating it for fish other than betta so I'm not going to suggest anything.

yeh i didnt think it was tb. when i can - prolly tonight after the show - ill go pick up a kit from walmart to test levels.

when i had gone to the store the aquarium manager had gotten me set up. He boasted about having 12 tanks at home, so i trusted him. I was gonna get another corie anyways. dunno what I could do about the danios since i wouldnt be able to return them.

Ill pst an update after lvl testing.

Olympia 04-20-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ongaku (Post 1053421)
yeh i didnt think it was tb. when i can - prolly tonight after the show - ill go pick up a kit from walmart to test levels.

when i had gone to the store the aquarium manager had gotten me set up. He boasted about having 12 tanks at home, so i trusted him. I was gonna get another corie anyways. dunno what I could do about the danios since i wouldnt be able to return them.

Ill pst an update after lvl testing.

Alright.
A lot of people really don't know what they are doing with fish.. "I've kept fish for 20 years" or "I have 12 fish tanks at home" isn't really a good statement to make, if you are doing everything wrong. :D But a lot of people get fooled by store employees. Which makes sense, working in a FISH store or the fish department, you SHOULD know about fish. But most employees don't know and don't care about knowing proper fish care!

I think you should look on craigslist (usa) or kjiji (canada), or whatever online ad service you have, or through the newspaper, even a secondhand store, for a larger fish tank.. Sometimes people sell them dirt cheap because they want them gone fast. Any size upgrade would be beneficial right now.
Danios are pretty hardy, however cories are usually not that hardy, so watch out for the little guy.. In the mean time, I'd do 30% water changes twice weekly in your main tank to help the other fish out.

Ongaku 04-20-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1053448)
Alright.
A lot of people really don't know what they are doing with fish.. "I've kept fish for 20 years" or "I have 12 fish tanks at home" isn't really a good statement to make, if you are doing everything wrong. :D But a lot of people get fooled by store employees. Which makes sense, working in a FISH store or the fish department, you SHOULD know about fish. But most employees don't know and don't care about knowing proper fish care!

I think you should look on craigslist (usa) or kjiji (canada), or whatever online ad service you have, or through the newspaper, even a secondhand store, for a larger fish tank.. Sometimes people sell them dirt cheap because they want them gone fast. Any size upgrade would be beneficial right now.
Danios are pretty hardy, however cories are usually not that hardy, so watch out for the little guy.. In the mean time, I'd do 30% water changes twice weekly in your main tank to help the other fish out.

yeh, plus theres so much contradicting information out there too =\ hard to sift through whats true and whats not.

unfortunately id have to talk to my roommate if i wanted anything bigger since its mostly his place. the room is sublet to me and it was originally his tank AND it is out in the living room, but he wasnt taking care if it so he said I could if I wanted. (I always seem to get my hands in these types of cookie jars - or should i say fish tanks? lol) He wont even let me keep the light on during the day =_= thats why I couldnt keep the live plants.

I wasnt sure how often i should change water cause i know theres cycling and I didnt want to kill off any beneficial bacteria. >.< when I inherited the tank it wasnt cycled so I ended up restarting.

Olympia 04-20-2012 07:20 PM

Hmm, well right now the main concern is to get you in the best situation possible... Sometimes you get stuck in these bad situations. Try to convince your room mate into a larger tank.. you'd get away with 15 gallons even.
Your cory will not survive a cycle, almost positive, they are sensitive fish.. He must be pretty hardy to have lasted this long though.
Most danios will survive a cycle, but of course cycling with fish isn't recommended, but we don't have much choice.

The filter cartridge is key to cycling.. you don't want to replace it ever.. Every time you change the water, you can wash it a bit in the bucket of old tank water and then put it back. The cartridge or filter sponge is where almost all of the bacteria lives.

Ongaku 04-21-2012 04:57 AM

so my amonia levels were at 0. i tested everthing else and heres what i got:
nitrate - 20
nitrite - 10+ O_O it was prolly up in the twenties! the reader didnt go that dark
hardness - 150
alkallinity - 80
ph - 7.2

so knowing all that whats up the the nitrites? add aquarium salt? I dont see how this would only be affecting the one fish. I didnt see any parasite meds at wally world - they were out =( but thats my other guess for this dude.

Ongaku 04-21-2012 05:09 AM

added the floating suction cup thermometer about 10 min ago and its reading 82*F

also notice hair like algea, but grey. am i overfeeding?

Olympia 04-21-2012 09:55 AM

The algae is probably from over feeding or too much light.. Anyways important stuff.

Also, you're water is way too warm for those species... Is the tank in direct light?

You have to do water changes until nitrite is 0... That's the only thing that'll help right now if you can't remove all the fish. Usually 0.25 nitrite is fatal.

Nitrite is actually considered more toxic than ammonia by many. It affects the fish's gills and makes them suffocate... If you can find a large container, put all the fish in it, and dump in some fish food so your tank can keep cycling... The good news is that the tank usually will finish the nitrite part of the cycle in under 7 days.. Even if you remove the fish, do a 50% change, too high levels might stall the cycle. The fact that nitrite got so high is due to the large amount of fish in a small area cycling the tank. The bacteria that eat ammonia exploded in population, and they are the ones that produce nitrite.
The nitrite spike is usually the point for people that don't understand that cycling is important, that all the fish die and they give up on fish keeping.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ongaku 04-23-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1054281)
The algae is probably from over feeding or too much light.. Anyways important stuff.

Also, you're water is way too warm for those species... Is the tank in direct light?

You have to do water changes until nitrite is 0... That's the only thing that'll help right now if you can't remove all the fish. Usually 0.25 nitrite is fatal.

Nitrite is actually considered more toxic than ammonia by many. It affects the fish's gills and makes them suffocate... If you can find a large container, put all the fish in it, and dump in some fish food so your tank can keep cycling... The good news is that the tank usually will finish the nitrite part of the cycle in under 7 days.. Even if you remove the fish, do a 50% change, too high levels might stall the cycle. The fact that nitrite got so high is due to the large amount of fish in a small area cycling the tank. The bacteria that eat ammonia exploded in population, and they are the ones that produce nitrite.
The nitrite spike is usually the point for people that don't understand that cycling is important, that all the fish die and they give up on fish keeping.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tank isnt in direct light. Its actually in a rather dim room. I got a new thermometer but its still reading around 80. I live hawaii so its rather warm here. today it was cold like70ish outside and the tank was reading 78.

I've been doing daily changes and its barely dropped the nitrite lvl. I noticed Grey cobweb algae so im going to go vacuum the gravel. A friend said dying algae could be a source of my nitrite problems.

As for the danio it really is noticeably bent. A lot of people have been suggesting a genetic deformation since all the other fish are perfectly fine.