Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Transporting a 10 gal tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/transporting-10-gal-tank-9916/)

NoodleFish 12-10-2007 09:44 PM

Transporting a 10 gal tank.

Well, I'm a college student who owns a ten gallon tank with three loverly fishies in it + a cool snail.

Anyway, I know for a fact that there's no way I can lift this thing, and I would obviously need some help when carrying it to a car. But with Winter intercession coming up soon, I'm heading home. How exactly should I go about taking my tank from my dorm room to my house which is about an hour and a half away?

willow 12-11-2007 02:27 AM

hello
i would put the fish in bags(you can get them from the LFS)
with tank water,wrapp the fish bags in news paper
it helps to keep the warmth in.remove the rest and keep it if you can.
put the gravel/sand in a container with a lid to keep it moist,
there will be benifical bacteria in htere,bag up your plants.
bag up the filter too.
when you get to your location set the tank up straight away,
and keep a check on your water for amonia,nitrItes,nitrAtes.
good luck,it should run smoothly. :)

Little-Fizz 12-11-2007 05:19 AM

Re: Transporting a 10 gal tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoodleFish
Well, I'm a college student who owns a ten gallon tank with three loverly fishies in it + a cool snail.

Anyway, I know for a fact that there's no way I can lift this thing, and I would obviously need some help when carrying it to a car. But with Winter intercession coming up soon, I'm heading home. How exactly should I go about taking my tank from my dorm room to my house which is about an hour and a half away?

:? ... It kind of sounds like you were planning on moving it with water in it? I'm not sure if thats what you were thinking.. but DON'T! You'll have water and fish all over the floor. Plus your really cool snail. Listen to what Willow says and you'll be fine. Just make sure you keep some water in the filter to keep any good bacteria alive.

coley 12-11-2007 08:26 AM

This is how I moved a planted 10 gallon.

I bought two 5 gallon buckets w/lids and rinsed them out really good. I also bought a battery powered air pump, painters tape (blue masking tape) and a small air stone.

I transfered about 4 gallons into a bucket and put the plants, driftwood, decorations and filter media inside and snapped the lid on.

The transfered about 3 gallons of water into second bucket for the fish. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the lid, ran 1/4 air line tubing through for the pump and stone. Put the lid on and turned the pump on. Put this bucket in your car last and remove it first.

That left me with about 2 gallons of water left in the tank. Just enough to cover the substrate. I taped it all up with painters tape just to be safe and I secured the tank in my car trunk.

I kept the fish and plants inside the car so they didn't get too cold or hot.

As soon as you get to the place your going, snap the lid off of the fish pail,
then set your tank where you want it, replace plants, decorations, and water. Let it run for a little while to clear the water and then put your fish in.

I had zero losses and no mini cycle.

NoodleFish 12-12-2007 12:12 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! I feel a bit better now. =3

I also have a small 2.5 gal tank that's not being used for anything. Would it be okay to put the fish in that to transport them?