Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Removing Brown algae from leaves (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/removing-brown-algae-leaves-99149/)

Big Fate 04-18-2012 08:38 PM

Removing Brown algae from leaves
 
I don't know if its diatoms or what.. Being this tank has been up and running for some time now. But how do you rid the algae from the leaves or are they just damaged now?

Tazman 04-18-2012 08:52 PM

Brush it off with a cloth NEVER used with soap or other items.

Do it when you do a water change so you can vacuum any of the debris coming off the leaves.

Olympia 04-18-2012 08:59 PM

Brown algae should rub off VERY easily. You can do it manually if you want, but we should also figure out what's causing it. Brown algae is sort of the weirdo of the algae group...
Brown algae is very common in newly establish tanks, it can get going long before any other algae can. Usually if you have it in a newly established tank, it will gradually be outcompeted by other algae. Is your tank newly established?
Brown algae thrives in low light where other algae/plants cannot. A possible solution is to increase your amount of lighting. How much lighting does you tank recieve, and are there live plants?
Most algae thrive on phosphates, but brown algae is most present in tanks with more silicates than phosphates. I've seen this caused by everything from it being sourced in tap water, to leaching from silicon gluing aquaria together (this is very unlikely as it'd be a very small amount leaching). Another possibility is if you are using an aquarium sand made from glass shards (for example CaribSea brand). If any of these were to be the case, increase your lighting and add some live plants, as I don't know of any products to remove silicates from water.
Hope that helps ^-^

Byron 04-19-2012 11:17 AM

I concur. Will only add that some have suggested phosphate removers for the silicates, at least I think it was phosphate removers...the product is added in the filter. There is a thread here about this, I can't remember who suggested it or the product, sorry.:roll:

Big Fate 04-19-2012 01:18 PM

No, the tanks been up and running for a little over a year now. So I'm leaned more towards the tap water. I've never really had any big issues with any other algae besides diatoms in all my tanks. It covers everything in my larger goldfish tank.

Now in my planted tank when rubbing leaves with my finger I can get some off but some leaves are stained, is there any other way to get this off? Its a 10 gallon running a full spectrum 6,700 T8 bulb.

Byron 04-19-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fate (Post 1052268)
No, the tanks been up and running for a little over a year now. So I'm leaned more towards the tap water. I've never really had any big issues with any other algae besides diatoms in all my tanks. It covers everything in my larger goldfish tank.

Now in my planted tank when rubbing leaves with my finger I can get some off but some leaves are stained, is there any other way to get this off? Its a 10 gallon running a full spectrum 6,700 T8 bulb.

This is a situation where I would recommend fish, and several smallish fish are ideal. Otos for one, Farlowella vitatta, and Bristlenose Pleco. Depending upon the tank size and present fish load, one of these might be an option. Otos are shoaling so minimum 3; the other two can be single fish. The small snails like pond and Malaysian Livebearing also help, though if the diatoms are bad snails will barely dent it.

Big Fate 04-19-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1052473)
This is a situation where I would recommend fish, and several smallish fish are ideal. Otos for one, Farlowella vitatta, and Bristlenose Pleco. Depending upon the tank size and present fish load, one of these might be an option. Otos are shoaling so minimum 3; the other two can be single fish. The small snails like pond and Malaysian Livebearing also help, though if the diatoms are bad snails will barely dent it.

I don't particularly care for sucker fish due to the high polluters they are.. But I think i'm ready to give it another shot. Its for my small 10 gal which I'm kinda already at my peak of stocking.. Which do you recommend, the Farlowella or Bristlenose?

Also since we are on the subject, which kind of sucker fish could I use for my Cold water Goldfish tank? I get them bad in there too, but i've heard these guys will harrass goldfish and try to suck on them. Is this true?

Byron 04-19-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fate (Post 1052508)
I don't particularly care for sucker fish due to the high polluters they are.. But I think i'm ready to give it another shot. Its for my small 10 gal which I'm kinda already at my peak of stocking.. Which do you recommend, the Farlowella or Bristlenose?

Also since we are on the subject, which kind of sucker fish could I use for my Cold water Goldfish tank? I get them bad in there too, but i've heard these guys will harrass goldfish and try to suck on them. Is this true?

Re the goldfish, I would not recommend adding "troicals" for several reasons. And what you mention is a possibility.

In a 10g, I would not have a Bristlenose, at 4 inches that is trouble. Farlowella vitatta might be OK, not something I myself would do, but if you have soft acidic water this might work. With lots of plants and some wood to keep it busy. A trio of otos would also likely manage, but I don't know the fish load specifics so this is up to you.

Just thought of another possible, a Whiptail like Rineloricaria parva or the Red Lizard Whiptail.

Otos and Farlowella have minimal impact as far as waste and bioload. BN is a bit different.

Big Fate 04-19-2012 08:07 PM

My waters pretty hard over here.

Yea, I like those Red whiptails. I've been trying to find a store out here for awhile who stocks them but nothing.

Olympia 04-19-2012 08:32 PM

Have you considered Amano Shrimp? They have tiny bioloads and will breed for you if they have enough cover.. One of the best algae eating shrimp, they won't eat your plants.
This would depend on what fish is in the 10 gallon.. I know most occasional shrimp eaters (talking about you, betta splendens!) will shy away from Amanos since they are at least 1" long. Amanos also don't have large claws and won't target your smaller fish (ghost shrimp have done this before.. they're pretty daring).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2