Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need suggestions for a theme (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-suggestions-theme-99143/)

Molinious 04-18-2012 06:09 PM

Need suggestions for a theme

A mentioned in a previous post iv obtained a large aquarium for the pricely sum of 10!

I plan to set it up over time and rehome my current fish into it, they are as follows

Congo Tetras, absolute characters! Stunnig fish, slightly shy but then get brave but change there minds! Always watching either me or the tv.

Neon Tetras, Happy little shoal

Rummynose Tetras, always on the go, never ever stop!

Rosy Tetras, again such characters, always "dancing" with each other

Cherry Barbs, just seem to mind there own business

Yoyo Loach, they are mad! hide alot but when there out there just crazy!

Bettas, alaways happy to see you, just do there own thing not disturbing the others

Golden Bristlenose Pleco, always upside down eating the algae and rasping on the bogwood

CRS, becoming quite the colony now and love to tease the other fish when they swim past them

As you can see there quite a community, a video can be seen on my profile to see them, but Im having difficulty deciding what theme to go for! Needs to be heavily planted as i love the look!

Also when the new tank is ready and there moved i have the current 1 to revamp.

Thanks for any ideas in advance

Olympia 04-18-2012 06:20 PM

What do you mean by theme exactly?
You can't really do a true biotope since it's quite the mix of species.
For heavily planted, you should be considering the styles known as "Dutch" and "Jungle" style. Dutch style is very neat and organized, usually high light since there are red leaved plants involved (tend to need high light & CO2). The jungle style is less organized and more natural looking.. Do you like the look of blackwater? I know the neon and rummynose tetra and betta appreciate it, not sure about the other species you have.
I personally enjoy jungle over Dutch style, more natural, but a neat Dutch tank has it's charms ;)
Here are two articles that have some photos and cover some common plant species..
How to set up a Dutch-style aquascape | Features | Practical Fishkeeping
How to set up an underwater jungle aquarium | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

Molinious 04-18-2012 06:24 PM

You nailed on the head exactly what i meant by theme. I like the jungle look, but do like a little order, organised chaos if you please. I have an excellent stockist and nothing is to much trouble for them

Olympia 04-18-2012 06:34 PM

Glad I could you out! :D
Some photos when it's all done would be great!

Molinious 04-18-2012 06:37 PM

Iv taken a look at a few black water aquariums and altho they look stunning, there not really something id go for. Thsnks for the suggestions. With the new tank, i think it should be complete in at most 6 months time. So addictive, always want more, love doing the projects!!!!

Byron 04-19-2012 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would suggest a river habitat, something along the lines of my 90g (photo below). This has some of your same fish...Congo Tetra, Botia kubotai (similar to yoyo), black ruby barb...all active swimmers so a quiet river aquascape suits them. Fine gravel, rounded river rocks for boulders, and of course several chunks of bogwood so the loach can each have their own home [can't really see the wood for all the plants, but there are 4 quite large chunks in a sort of line down the centre as they would be in a river]. Having African, SE Asian and South American fish, I didn't go biotope either, and the plants are a similar mix. Echinodorus bleheri (these were adventitious plants from my larger ones that I just stuck in here), a nice stand of Cryptocoryne along the front (the only crypt I can grow well:lol:) and of course floating plants being Water Sprite and the leaves of two large Red Tiger Lotus.

Byron.

Molinious 04-19-2012 05:00 PM

That is truly stunning!!!!! Il be sure to ask your advice again whne compiling a plant list, my local stockist has already said they can get me pretty much anything i want, there extremely helpful and alwa great quality! I guess im lucky