Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Combining tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/combining-tanks-99096/)

Hallyx 04-18-2012 04:56 AM

Combining tanks

I keep two Betta, each in a 2.5gal tank. I would like to combine these two tanks so that I might establish a stable cycle.

I would like to submerge a heater and filter in a 1gal sump (?), then split the filter outflow into each tank and siphon the show tanks back into the sump.

Are there reasons I'm unaware of that would make this problematic?

Thank you for your consideration.

Tazman 04-18-2012 07:54 AM

Chances are you will not establish a stable cycle in a 2.5 gallon tank. There simply isnt enough room to get it stable.

Tazman 04-18-2012 07:58 AM

Finding a pump to move that small amount of water is going to be a problem.

Perhaps look at getting a 5-10g tank, they are not that expensive. This would give you more room to complete a stable cycle. Once the tank is cycled, add a divider (you can either make or buy one) and viola, fishes get a mansion to live in and in a stable tank :-)

Byron 04-18-2012 12:27 PM

Seems easier to have some live plants. Floating especially, which the Betta will certainly appreciate. One Betta in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with live plants will be in heaven, and you will have no cycling issues period.:-)

Hallyx 04-18-2012 09:55 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I want to combine two 2.5 gal tanks into one system. Total volume would be around 6gal, including sump.

The reason I want to do this is to provide my fish with more square-inches of swimming room; depth being less important to Betta. I also have overhead space considerations.

For two other fish, I am currently running a divided, cycled 5gal which works fine, but has less floor space than two 2.5gal. The two I'm trying this for are currently in heaven, each in a 2.5 gal with live plants.

I would hope that my Hagen Elite Mini submersible filter would have sufficient flow to circulate five-gallons of water.

I have all live plants (anubias, wisteria, aponogeton, pennywort, Banana plant, red lotus-lilly), some of which float, but no voracious NH3-eaters. I hope to rectify that, soon.

By the way, I'm sorry to bother you guys over here with the real aquaria, but nobody in the Betta section seems to have tried this.

Olympia 04-18-2012 10:13 PM

This is a pretty common way to have a betta barracks. LittleBettaFish has a lovely barracks built this way that she has posted about a few times- her tanks have spray bars adding water in, but that's the only difference.
We had a discussion about building one a few weeks ago in the betta forum actually. I believe it involves using airline tubing to keep water moving between tanks...
1 gallon might be tight space for a heater/filter. I'd use a large bucket if you can keep it from being an eye sore. :D
Totally possible, just remember to exercise caution cycling with your betta inside!

Hallyx 04-18-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1051813)
We had a discussion about building one a few weeks ago in the betta forum actually. I believe it involves using airline tubing to keep water moving between tanks...

Sorry I missed that. Would you hapen to remember the thread title, so that I might look it up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1051813)
Totally possible, just remember to exercise caution cycling with your betta inside!

Oh, I would never even consider fish-in cycling. But thanks for you concern. You are a most considerate and helpful person.

Olympia 04-19-2012 05:34 AM

Multiple small tanks
Its already on page 11, jeez. LBF goes into some detail, I'd follow her advice and look on YouTube, ask her if you have problems...
Betta barracks set-up
Betta barracks log
Here are LBFs threads on her system. It's set up somewhat differently that you want, with spray bars. But you could try that too, it's cheap and easy to do, she made hers by hand.
Posted via Mobile Device