Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Coming around (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/coming-around-9904/)

bobo 12-10-2007 03:57 PM

Coming around

So i`m finally getting round to starting my saltwater tank - and i`ve been looking at all sorts of different things to put in my tank and so my questions are arousing

its gonna be a coral and reef tank and my current wish list is :
2 Clownfish - species depending on availabilty
some shrimp - probably fire shrimp
a valentini puffer - my question is will he fit in with the shrimp?

the tank is gonna be about 30-40 gallons - so please throw in some ideas of what else i can add to this tank.

bobo 12-11-2007 07:51 PM

okay sudden cahnge - the tank may be up to 70 gallons rather then small :o at the LFS we were discussing a 70 gallon tank so it`ll be bigger then i previously thought.

bobo 12-12-2007 04:01 AM

alright so lets clarify this a bit more

The tank will be larger then i thought so lets leave it at 55gallons since the final measurements are not yet decided.

it will be FOWLR so now i`m wondering about what to put in it and i`m open to many ideas.

2 clown fish - of some sort is all i got so far
i love the valentini puffer
i like the fire shrimp
i like lionfish ( although i know that if this goes in i may have some trouble :P)
ideas please?

gymnothorax 12-14-2007 04:33 PM

i would recommend choosing between the puffer or the shrimp, but mixing the two will more than likely result in a fat and happy valentini with leg or two poking out of his mouth : )

SeaSerpant 12-14-2007 06:23 PM

Nice example. But that's probably the truth. Either get the shrimp or the puffer. It's your call.

bobo 12-15-2007 04:42 AM

okay reading around i`m quite scared to start something larger then 30 gallons first go so i`m just wondering if this can work out.

20-30 gallons
FOWLR
2 clownfish
2 fire shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
1-2 Coral
1-2 other small fish (blennies?)
and hermit crabs?!

Lupin 12-15-2007 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo
okay reading around i`m quite scared to start something larger then 30 gallons first go so i`m just wondering if this can work out.

20-30 gallons
FOWLR
2 clownfish
2 fire shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
1-2 Coral
1-2 other small fish (blennies?)
and hermit crabs?!

A large tank is better than a small tank. Smaller tanks make water conditions almost unstable and difficult to keep constant so unless you are prepared for this, get the biggest tank you can afford.

Lawnmower blennies might be one of the best choice you can get.

Lupin 12-15-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSerpant
Nice example. But that's probably the truth. Either get the shrimp or the puffer. It's your call.

But this is actually the truth. Puffers just don't get along with a tank full of invertebrates. They relish invertebrates therefore making them unsuitable even for reef tanks.

SeaSerpant 12-15-2007 05:34 PM

So chose one or the other or we can chose the best one i would choose the invertibrates because they go with more fish.

bobo 12-15-2007 06:41 PM

this current valentini they have is apparently very compatible SO far with shrimp etc - i`m kinda worried however that in 3 months from now though they wont have the same little one since thats when i`m judging my cycle to be over! :< Moneywise i have no problem getting taht 80 gallon tank - but my room is quite crowded already with my freshwater tanks but i can easily fit in another 30gallon tank compared to an 80 gallon.

i was just wondering prices around but for me so far the actual tank w filter and lights etc comes out to around 500 dollars. (30 gallon) then for the live rock i`ll need 300 dollars. we actually use pounds here so its 250 pounds for tank w addons etc and 150 for the live rock. Monopoly For the loss :<