Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Will i lose my cycle... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/will-i-lose-my-cycle-98931/)

smit3183 04-16-2012 08:04 AM

Will i lose my cycle...

I plan on switching my 55g gravel to a brand new 55g play sand. The current 55 was a hand me down and kind of beat up. I currently have 28 fish, mollys, platys, danios, corys, cherry barbs and bloodfin tetras. Im running 2 fluval c4 on it now and plan on transferring those to the new 55. Will that be enough bacteria to keep the cycle going? Also have some Vals in there. Or will it go through a mini cycle, if so how do I approach this situation? I also plan on trying to get some watersprite again. First time around it died on me.

Byron 04-16-2012 10:48 AM

You don't mention how many plants, but if there are lots then there should be no issues. And retaining the existing filter media in the filters, left running throughout, will help. Are you talking two different tanks here, of is the substrate change occurring in just the one tank?

Byron.

smit3183 04-16-2012 11:11 AM

Yeah, 2 different tanks. The brand new tank is getting the sand. I wouldn't call it alot of plants, but the Vals are reproducing nicely, gonna add in some watersprite the day I make the switch as a know this would help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-16-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smit3183 (Post 1049064)
Yeah, 2 different tanks. The brand new tank is getting the sand. I wouldn't call it alot of plants, but the Vals are reproducing nicely, gonna add in some watersprite the day I make the switch as a know this would help.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is how I reset my tanks, and I have 7 at present and all have been reset twice in the past 3 years, so I know this works.

Add the new substrate to the second tank. With playsand I rinse it as best as I can, dump it in the empty tank, then add about 5-6 inches of water, drain it out--this will remove a lot of fine dirt that got missed during the rinsing. Then add the hardscape (wood, rocks). Then carefully (to avoid stirring up the sand--a dish on the substrate helps) add some tap water using a dechlorinator immediately it starts to fill (to preserve the bacteria on the wood or rock if it came from an existing tank). Fill about 2/3 to 3/4 with tap water that is the same temp as the existing tank or warmer--never cooler. Move over the plants. Then move the filter and heaters over. Top up the water sufficient for the filters/heaters.

At this point I would check the pH of both tanks to ensure they are reasonably close. A difference of .5 or .6 is fine, but if it is greater, I would do a major water change in the existing tank where the fish still are, 1/2 or a bit more.

Lower the water at least half in the tank with the fish and move them over. Top up the new tank if needed. A good cover of floating plants is advisable.

Byron.

smit3183 04-16-2012 11:53 AM

Thanks alot Byron
Posted via Mobile Device