Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cool looking fish for tropical tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cool-looking-fish-tropical-tank-98927/)

thegabzzz 04-16-2012 07:22 AM

cool looking fish for tropical tank?

Hi everyone, i have a 150 gallon aquarium set up as a tropical aquarium, this is not my first aquarium so i dont need help with any of the cycling or anything like that, just wondering if any of you guys could reccommend a cool fish for the tank, i was already thinking of borneo suckers and kuhli loaches.
I just want something different. any idea much appreciated.

1077 04-16-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegabzzz (Post 1048858)
Hi everyone, i have a 150 gallon aquarium set up as a tropical aquarium, this is not my first aquarium so i dont need help with any of the cycling or anything like that, just wondering if any of you guys could reccommend a cool fish for the tank, i was already thinking of borneo suckers and kuhli loaches.
I just want something different. any idea much appreciated.

Plenty of room that's for sure.
I would suggest looking at fish that preferred the type of water I was going to use for water changes first.(tapwater?)
Some fishes prefer soft water ,some prefer hard water.
I might then consider whether fish I am interested in are compatible with other fishes I might select.
Small fish might get eaten by larger fish, and some fishes are more territorial than other's and may not get along.
Would first determine what the water you have is like with respect to pH, and general hardness GH.

thegabzzz 04-16-2012 08:24 AM

Hi, thanks for replying, my hardness is 5 and the ph is 7.1, I am willing to buy any fish that is compatible with the recommended fish
Posted via Mobile Device

Jester10 04-16-2012 08:53 AM

I would go with angels, a large school of diamond tetra or any other kind of tetra you think looks nice. I am also a fan of gouamis. The possiblities are endless.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 04-16-2012 09:28 AM

What are the dimensions of the tank..length of the tank can also play a role in what fish you get.

Byron 04-16-2012 06:14 PM

With soft water (5 dGH) the pH will soon lower a bit so you are well set for many options with soft acidic water fish. Obviously rift lake cichlids and livebearers are out.

Someone mentioned angelfish, you could go with wild caught, perhaps the more rare Pterophyllum altum if not wild Pterophyllum scalare (which are not quite the same as the commercial angelfish), since your water is geared to that. Something along similar lines would be discus. But never both together. Various shoaling characins can be matched with either.

Another option with the space would be some of the medium cichlids from Central and South America. Some manage with softer water. Check out the species in our profiles.

A SE Asian aquascape with one of the medium gourami as centrepiece. Or a Central African theme with Congo Tetra as centrepiece fish. Or simply a large group of several shoaling characins.

Byron.

thegabzzz 04-17-2012 08:49 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of angels. But I really want a Loach or carfish, maybe one that will go with gouramis because I'm planning on getting gouramis too
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 04-17-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegabzzz (Post 1050007)
Yeah, I was thinking of angels. But I really want a Loach or carfish, maybe one that will go with gouramis because I'm planning on getting gouramis too
Posted via Mobile Device

I might consider Pearl gourami (male and a few females) and perhaps five Keyhole cichlid's and maybe a dozen YoYo loaches, or dwarf chain loaches .
Course with loaches ,rooted plant's are sometimes dug up but smaller Dwarf chain loach or kuhlii loaches would maybe not be as destructive.
Could also substitute loaches with a large shoal of corydoras.

Adamson 04-18-2012 07:51 AM

Get a Black Ghost Knife fish as they will go with pretty much anything in acidic water!

thegabzzz 04-18-2012 07:53 AM

Thanks for all your feedback guys, I'll definitely look into all the suggestions. Btw, I would really love a ghost knife but my lighting is to bright
Posted via Mobile Device