Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   stocking my 10 gallon tank: need comments (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-my-10-gallon-tank-need-98892/)

fishybert 04-15-2012 08:16 PM

stocking my 10 gallon tank: need comments

i'm planning to move my fish to a 10-gallon planted tank:

1 white could mountain minnow
1 rumy nose tetra
6 celestial pearl danios
2 red cherry shrimp

i'm planning to add 6-8 checker barbs; will it make the tank overcrowded? it's around 20 inches long btw

tia :D

Jester10 04-16-2012 12:48 AM

10 gallons is much to small for all those fish. If you can afford it I would get a 20 or 30 gallon tank get more rumy nose tetra. They are happy in schools of at least 6 and they will look a lot better too. You are lucky to find those danios I can't find them anywhere o.O. I would get a few more of them to if you can. I would pass on the barbs as they tend to be bullies if you don't have a large school.

Also is what do you have these guys in now?
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 04-16-2012 01:01 AM

There are a few problems I see. The white cloud mountain minnow (click the shaded name to see more) and the rummynose tetra should be in groups of 6 or more. Many people will recommend more than 10 individuals. Because both are active swimmers a 10 gallons will not be sufficient room for these fish. The celestial pearl danio will also need a larger tank. If you do anything, I would advise getting three larger (30" +) tanks for the three species and then going from there. If you have the option to return the white cloud mountain minnow or the rummynose tetra, that is also going to be a good idea. But the celestial pearl danio will still need a larger home.

However, the red cherry shrimp will be more than happy in the 10 gallon tank.

fishybert 04-16-2012 01:14 AM

yeah, i guess a 10-gal is just big enough for one school of CPDs. i got the CPDs from the LFS. i suspect they've been there for quite some time since they're really small(about 1cm), and the LFS still listed them as microrasbora galaxy(when i was looking for "celestial pearl danio")

i currently have these guys in a 5 gal. tank. Sadly i've had a lot of casualities along the way, hence the single rumy nose and white clouds. Even "novices" like me still make rookie mistakes i guess.

Anyways, i think i'll just leave things as is for now. Since i don't have the option to return any stuff, i'll just set up the 10-gal and hope for the best.

btw, do the shrimp really swim up to the surface and grab fish flakes? i have this one shrimp that swims up, grabs a flake, then freefalls down. cool :D

Thanks!

CatSoup 04-16-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishybert (Post 1048757)
yeah, i guess a 10-gal is just big enough for one school of CPDs. i got the CPDs from the LFS. i suspect they've been there for quite some time since they're really small(about 1cm), and the LFS still listed them as microrasbora galaxy(when i was looking for "celestial pearl danio")

i currently have these guys in a 5 gal. tank. Sadly i've had a lot of casualities along the way, hence the single rumy nose and white clouds. Even "novices" like me still make rookie mistakes i guess.

Anyways, i think i'll just leave things as is for now. Since i don't have the option to return any stuff, i'll just set up the 10-gal and hope for the best.

btw, do the shrimp really swim up to the surface and grab fish flakes? i have this one shrimp that swims up, grabs a flake, then freefalls down. cool :D

Thanks!

Yikes! Yeah, you definitely need a bigger tank. A 5 gal works for maybe one of those fish or the shrimp.