Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Floating plants making a mess of things. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/floating-plants-making-mess-things-98873/)

nawilson89 04-15-2012 05:32 PM

Floating plants making a mess of things.

Hello all.
I recently purchased a floating plant from a local pet store (i think its a water sprite) to give some shelter to my betta and shade for my cories in my 29g community tank. I loves it and swims through it all the time, but my problem is that when it floats over toward the filter it naturally gets washed down with the current. When it goes down it separates into smaller parts and then disperses around the tank making a huge mess by getting caught in the plants at the bottom of the tank.

Is there any way to keep the plant from getting washed all over the place?

Andarial 04-15-2012 06:43 PM

You could try and get a baffle? It's often what bettas need anyway to help them with the current flow of the filter, a baffle is something that slows the current of the filter by blocking it and forcing the water to flow around it. I'm not sure if this would help but perhaps it could? If you have a conventional filter, there is a way to create a baffle for it out of a water bottle. But I don't know what kind of filter you have. Do you have any pics of it? In case you think this could help

nawilson89 04-15-2012 06:48 PM

I dont have my camera at the moment, but i shall upload a picture of it tomorrow.

redchigh 04-16-2012 04:45 PM

can you raise the water level so that the water doesn't splash down?

Termato 04-16-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawilson89 (Post 1048292)
Hello all.
I recently purchased a floating plant from a local pet store (i think its a water sprite) to give some shelter to my betta and shade for my cories in my 29g community tank. I loves it and swims through it all the time, but my problem is that when it floats over toward the filter it naturally gets washed down with the current. When it goes down it separates into smaller parts and then disperses around the tank making a huge mess by getting caught in the plants at the bottom of the tank.

Is there any way to keep the plant from getting washed all over the place?

I have had this issue as well and what I have done is left the floating plants as far away from the filter as possible. I anchored a small end to the heater (just by putting it behind it. I have hornwort) and it is holding in place and doing fine.

On another tank the current is strong but the plants seem to have found a spot that they dont move from without my help. If you filter is near the center. try moving it towards one side.

nawilson89 04-17-2012 12:44 PM

Thanks for the help. Im not able to upload a picture because I cant find the cord to my camera.

Though I have do have the filter off to the side. It seems that though i put the plants in a corner they slowly float to the filter and then the problem seems to happen over and over again. For now I have moved the plant into a small vase with water until i can figure something out.

It actually a group of small plants clumped together. A friend of mine suggested tying them together with fishing line and then attaching them with a suction cup.

Termato 04-17-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawilson89 (Post 1050251)
Thanks for the help. Im not able to upload a picture because I cant find the cord to my camera.

Though I have do have the filter off to the side. It seems that though i put the plants in a corner they slowly float to the filter and then the problem seems to happen over and over again. For now I have moved the plant into a small vase with water until i can figure something out.

It actually a group of small plants clumped together. A friend of mine suggested tying them together with fishing line and then attaching them with a suction cup.

You could also try adding more plants up there. It could help.

More plants at the top might lower the water movement at the top. That could allow for a harder surface and keep the plants up.

Andarial 04-18-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 1050257)
You could also try adding more plants up there. It could help.

More plants at the top might lower the water movement at the top. That could allow for a harder surface and keep the plants up.

This is something like a baffle only natural, could work quite well ^^