Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   75 gallon cichlid tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/75-gallon-cichlid-tank-98815/)

Josh7 04-15-2012 12:04 AM

75 gallon cichlid tank

I have just set it up it is cycling it has a sand bottom, tempature is set at 78. Also my filtration is emperor 400 and a marineland penguin 350. I already know I want a oscar and a fetherfin catfish. I was looking into firemouths, convicts, jewel cichlids, severum, jack dempsey and needle nose gars. What off this list do you think will work the best and could I get any breeding pair fish to go with the oscar and featherfin thanks.

CatSoup 04-15-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh7 (Post 1047506)
I have just set it up it is cycling it has a sand bottom, tempature is set at 78. Also my filtration is emperor 400 and a marineland penguin 350. I already know I want a oscar and a fetherfin catfish. I was looking into firemouths, convicts, jewel cichlids, severum, jack dempsey and needle nose gars. What off this list do you think will work the best and could I get any breeding pair fish to go with the oscar and featherfin thanks.

I can't answer your question as I am new to fishy love. I love cichlids though, and that tank sounds great! Are you going to bother with plants? My cichlids are still little and have left them alone aside from occasionally playing under my crypt leaves. Not sure what kind they are, as the label on the tank just said "African cichlids". One yellow with brown stripes, and a brown with brown stripes. I'm not a fan of Oscars, but they've been popular, especially with men. Jacks are beautiful. I have a Jewel in with a couple of blood parrots right now. He/she is very docile for a cichlid.

Tazman 04-15-2012 09:39 AM

Oscar with a firemouth and JD would work in a 75g...make sure the other fish WILL NOT fit into the Oscars mouth.
Others to consider might be Silver Dollars and Tinfoil Barbs (not too many barbs though as they grow quite large)

I would seriously consider not getting a catfish to go with them, many catfish have spines on them and if the Oscar tries to eat it head first (which is how they eat), it can get stuck in the throat, requiring fairly harsh immediate intervention on your part. They will also become stressed as being nocturnal they will NOT be too happy when the Oscar tries to eat them during the day.

Plants I would not add too many

Josh7 04-15-2012 12:44 PM

Well I have to disagree with you there featherfin cats are the ultimate cichlid tankmate they will not put up with bullying and if you get them at about 4 inches no oscar can eat them as they have a huge head and body where they cant fi in its mouth. But if i do get a fetherfin cat, oscar, and a firemouth breeding pair is that doable. with maybe a school of dither fish like 4 silver dollars. Also Catsoup I am not going to do live plants as oscars will eat them and tear them up bad but I am going to get a few large silk plants and quite a few rock caves.

CatSoup 04-15-2012 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh7 (Post 1047910)
Well I have to disagree with you there featherfin cats are the ultimate cichlid tankmate they will not put up with bullying and if you get them at about 4 inches no oscar can eat them as they have a huge head and body where they cant fi in its mouth. But if i do get a fetherfin cat, oscar, and a firemouth breeding pair is that doable. with maybe a school of dither fish like 4 silver dollars. Also Catsoup I am not going to do live plants as oscars will eat them and tear them up bad but I am going to get a few large silk plants and quite a few rock caves.

Probably a good idea on the plants. When my cichlids are moved to their larger tank I might just pull the plants out of that one...or wait and see how they do. We'll see.
Any idea what kind these fellas are?
Attachment 52838 Attachment 52838

Not sure why that posted the pic twice.

Josh7 04-15-2012 02:49 PM

Some type of african cichlid and just so you know dont mix africans and american cichlids they will fight and their water requirements are much diffrent. Just so you know for future refrence.

CatSoup 04-15-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh7 (Post 1048046)
Some type of african cichlid and just so you know dont mix africans and american cichlids they will fight and their water requirements are much diffrent. Just so you know for future refrence.

Thanks for the info! Are my jeweled and blood parrots okay together? I have a separate tank for the two striped. From What I have been able to put together on them, they like a higher PH.

Josh7 04-15-2012 05:00 PM

your jewels may pick on the blood parrot but if the 2 jewels spawn they will kill your blood parrot. But does anyone have a opinion on if I can get a oscar, featherfin cat, a breeding jewel or firemouth pair and 4 silver dollars.

CatSoup 04-15-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh7 (Post 1048179)
your jewels may pick on the blood parrot but if the 2 jewels spawn they will kill your blood parrot. But does anyone have a opinion on if I can get a oscar, featherfin cat, a breeding jewel or firemouth pair and 4 silver dollars.

There is only one jeweled. No problems yet, but I'll keep an eye on him. :)

Josh7 04-16-2012 08:45 PM

Anyone have a opinions on my ideas had a little diffrent idea to how about 1 oscar, 1 jewel ciichlid, 1 convict, 1 fetaherfin catfish. Also can I have half sand and half gravel in a tank.