Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   possible problem. LFS messed up. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/possible-problem-lfs-messed-up-98744/)

Jester10 04-14-2012 12:30 AM

possible problem. LFS messed up.

Well I went to my lfs and saw the most beautiful diamond tetra. I knew they would look even better once they where in a healthy enviroment. So I bought six, except when I got home I noticied one was a little odd. A got 5 diamond tetra and 1 lemon tetra. This is also partially my fault because I did not check but then again I didn't think I had to.

Will this fish be ok by himself for awhile because the lfs is so far away I can't afford to keep running back and forth to return him or get more lemon tetra.
Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 04-14-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester10 (Post 1046418)
Well I went to my lfs and saw the most beautiful diamond tetra. I knew they would look even better once they where in a healthy enviroment. So I bought six, except when I got home I noticied one was a little odd. A got 5 diamond tetra and 1 lemon tetra. This is also partially my fault because I did not check but then again I didn't think I had to.

Will this fish be ok by himself for awhile because the lfs is so far away I can't afford to keep running back and forth to return him or get more lemon tetra.
Posted via Mobile Device

He'll be better for now by himself. Less stress right now to be alone. What do you mean by odd? If his fins are tattered, that can be a sign of poor water quality, or he's been picked on in the tank.

Gwen

Tazman 04-14-2012 07:49 AM

What do you mean by odd? - I believe the Original Poster is referring to the fact it does not look like the Diamond Tetra.

Agreed on the fact, keep it alone for now, you can try acclimating it with the other fish but have the other tank ready in case you need to remove it.

Have you considered ordering fish online, this way, if your tank is big enough you could perhaps order some more Lemon Tetra to keep the lone one happy?

Jester10 04-14-2012 08:39 AM

By odd I ment he didn't swim with the diamond tetra and then I took a closer look and saw he was in fact not a diamond tetra but a lemon tetra.

GwenInNM 04-14-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester10 (Post 1046554)
By odd I ment he didn't swim with the diamond tetra and then I took a closer look and saw he was in fact not a diamond tetra but a lemon tetra.

Got it! My bad :lol:

Byron 04-14-2012 10:46 AM

I agree. Long-term, I would get more Lemon Tetra 9and Diamond Tetra too) if you have tank space. All characins should be in groups of no less than 6 and more is always better if space permits.

There is not the slightest doubt that a lone tetra will be highly stressed. Sometimes this is unavoidable (as fish naturally die off in a group, someone will be the last survivor, or the store may only have a couple), but with young fish one should not have them isolated if it can be helped. A couple weeks is OK, so long as you intend to add (or return it).

Byron.

Aquatic Aston 04-14-2012 12:40 PM

Aslong as it isnt a permentant thing.

It wont be happy but aslong as it doesnt have to live its out like that.

Jester10 04-15-2012 07:34 PM

Do I have room for all these fish?

8 black phantoms
8 diamond tetra
soon to be 8 lemon tetra
5 angel fish
3 oto
1 dwarf gourami
1 columbian zebra.

Im afaid I will be over stock even if its lightly planted I don't think what I have will help. I do plan on adding more plants. My lfs has Moneywort would a few a of these soak up some ammonia and nitrate if I over stock a little?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-15-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester10 (Post 1048398)
Do I have room for all these fish?

8 black phantoms
8 diamond tetra
soon to be 8 lemon tetra
5 angel fish
3 oto
1 dwarf gourami
1 columbian zebra.

Im afaid I will be over stock even if its lightly planted I don't think what I have will help. I do plan on adding more plants. My lfs has Moneywort would a few a of these soak up some ammonia and nitrate if I over stock a little?
Posted via Mobile Device

No mention is made in this thread of the tank size, so it's impossible to answer your question.;-)

Jester10 04-15-2012 09:11 PM

Sorry lol 75 gallon lightly planted
Posted via Mobile Device