Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Too small of numbers in Merah Rasbora group (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/too-small-numbers-merah-rasbora-group-98651/)

turtle10 04-12-2012 11:53 PM

Too small of numbers in Merah Rasbora group

So I had a group of Rasboras and after living with a Betta their numbers have gone down. I went from 7 to 2. The problem is, I can't seem to find the same type of rasbora anywhere (boraras merah).

If anyone can give me a link or knows who has some Merahs I can purchase, please let me know. These fish really need their full group!

Also, if anyone has some Merahs and would be willing to take the Rasboras in for free, that would be great! I would love to keep the rasboras, but if the only way to have them in a full group is to rehome them, then that has to be done.

Byron 04-13-2012 10:51 AM

I suspect the Betta is eating the rasbora. Especially if a male Betta. The six species in Boraras are very small fish, and you are correct, they need a larger group, at least 9 or 10 is best, in a thickly planted tank but with no large fish. These species do best in small tanks either on their own or with similarly-sized fish.

Byron.

Olympia 04-22-2012 02:10 PM

They are pretty sensitive. Are you providing optimal conditions for them?

If so, then remove the betta from their tank if you get more... Some betta just don't do well in communities, also the size difference could be stressing out the rasbora a lot, which isn't good for them. Even if the betta isn't harassing them, it could be causing them stress. I agree, species only would be best for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

turtle10 04-22-2012 03:27 PM

The betta isn't there anymore, it is just them and some cherry shrimp for the past month. I was just looking for someone or someplace with some borers merah to make up the shoal.

Olympia 04-22-2012 03:31 PM

AquaBid.com - Cyprinids (Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks) Auctions
There's an auction for a group of 10 ending in about 3.5 hours.
I don't know how well these fish ship, but assuming you are in America, they should survive express shipping.
:)
Posted via Mobile Device

turtle10 04-22-2012 05:31 PM

I don't really feel comfortable buying something with out a picture. I am 99% sure mine are merahs, but I don't know 100% so the fish I get have to look exactly like them.

BWG 04-29-2012 02:14 PM

Frank's Aquarium and the Wet Spot both have them. Never bought from Frank's, but when I did from the Wet Spot I e-mailed asking for a picture of the fish first and recieved it. Frank's might be willing to do the same, wouldn't hurt to ask. Hope that helps.