Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Question on selling baby Angelfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/question-selling-baby-angelfish-98615/)

HollyinWA 04-12-2012 07:10 PM

Question on selling baby Angelfish

We are limited on fish stores in this area. I think we only have Petco, Petsmart and one private fresh water fish store. I better check to see if it is still there. I am pretty sure that private store does take in or buy babies. Does anyone know if Petco or Petsmart will buy from non commercial breeders. I am not going to do this full on but may have a batch now and then. Thanks!

P.S. Looks like that one private store is still open. I just remembered that we have another private pet store. Hopefully, it is still open too.

InsaneIchthyology 04-12-2012 07:16 PM

If you're really interested in actually selling then this won't help, but I think petco should take them in. At least they did with some of my white clouds.

DavidC 04-12-2012 07:27 PM

Selling Angels

I have sold baby Angelfish to pet stores in the past and they did not pay well for them.
I would definitely try to find a non-chain store and talk directly to the owner. He will likely not agree to anything till he see's the fish himself. I raised them to body size of about a nickel first, feeding them egg yolk strained through a rag and them live brine shrimp. You can transport maybe twenty at a time using a decent size cooler and a couple O-tabs with maybe a couple gallons of tank water. If they reject them, the cooler should keep them alive long enough to get them back home. It definitely was not profitable for me, but a challenging and fun experience. Good luck.

lorax84 04-12-2012 07:36 PM

If you are trying to turn a profit (or even break even) selling them directly to fish keepers is really the only way to do it. Your average LFS is probably only going to give you about 1/3-1/2 of what they plan on selling them for. As far as i know Petco/Petsmart never buy from private breeders, only wholesalers.

GwenInNM 04-12-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 1044930)
If you are trying to turn a profit (or even break even) selling them directly to fish keepers is really the only way to do it. Your average LFS is probably only going to give you about 1/3-1/2 of what they plan on selling them for. As far as i know Petco/Petsmart never buy from private breeders, only wholesalers.

I agree. The family owned pet/fish store I get some of my fish at, will only give store credit for any fish that they "want". They will take a fish for free if you don't want it. Doubt the big chain stores will take them.

Gwen

lorax84 04-12-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1045025)

I agree. The family owned pet/fish store I get some of my fish at, will only give store credit for any fish that they "want". They will take a fish for free if you don't want it. Doubt the big chain stores will take them.

Gwen

Usually if you are breeding something they sell, or want to sell they will set up a side deal with you for cash but it is still not a lot of cash. I know my LFS offered to buy any GBRs I could raise to adulthood for cash but it would work out to 10-20 fish a month at about $3 a fish, and thats only if they are able to sell them every month. Now if you breed something rare you can make a decent amount in fish auctions on aquabid, but you then have to worry about shipping, etc.

GwenInNM 04-13-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 1045057)
Usually if you are breeding something they sell, or want to sell they will set up a side deal with you for cash but it is still not a lot of cash. I know my LFS offered to buy any GBRs I could raise to adulthood for cash but it would work out to 10-20 fish a month at about $3 a fish, and thats only if they are able to sell them every month. Now if you breed something rare you can make a decent amount in fish auctions on aquabid, but you then have to worry about shipping, etc.

Yep, Lorax, I was referring also about GBR's. The lfs near me only gives store credit, and they also will only do about $3.00/fish. They sell them however for $23.00/each. I decided to not breed mine now, because I don't feel all the work is worth it, beside the fun of watching them :-D

Gwen

HollyinWA 04-13-2012 10:47 AM

Thanks, everyone. I don't want to get into this full on. I just want to make sure that I have an option to sell them or at least get credit with a store or give them away to the store because of the lack of room here. I don't want to get rid of the pair and they lay eggs all the time. This was the first time since they started to lay eggs that they got it to the point...hatched. They appear to be very good parents. I don't have the heart to take the eggs away from them and throw them out. This is why I wanted to know what most of you do in the way of selling them.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted on how it goes.