Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Brackish Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/)
-   -   GSP (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/gsp-986/)

butterbean 3 10-21-2006 07:41 PM

GSP

:wave: Does anyone here have puffers or other brackish fish/tank

crazie.eddie 10-21-2006 08:14 PM

I used to have brackish water tank with spotted puffer, archer fish, and mono sabae. I had the tank running for about a year. Setting up a tank for water changes, adding salt to make sure the salinity was the same, was a pain though, which is one of the reason why I stopped. Plus I had other ideas for the tank. Did you have a question in mind?

butterbean 3 10-21-2006 09:03 PM

I was more or less just wondering if anyone on here has puffers. I ordered f8's and gsp came in so I'm just trying to find out how they differ and some basic information to try to fill in the gaps. I have read and read but hearing or reading other peoples experiences helps a lot so thought I would ask :) .

Ziek 10-24-2006 06:40 AM

for feeding give them something with a shell off and on. puffers like to crack through the shells for food. things like snails and crabs. i think all puffers (not sure) but most the teeth will keep growing like a beavers so if you don't give them food like that their teeth will eventually overlap and they will no longer be able to eat at all causing them to starve.

butterbean 3 10-24-2006 01:45 PM

:wave: Do you have a brackish tank or puffers? I'm trying to raise snails for my gsp's. Right now I'm treating them for the IP's they had when I received them on Friday

Ziek 10-24-2006 03:02 PM

i don't have one but i know people that do and there are a bunch of brackish fish where i work so i've learn a decent amount about them.

squiggles 11-29-2006 08:06 PM

i have a brackish tank recently set up with a gsp and a freshwater moray eel. with the puffer i read ur supposed to feed him until his belly gets round and fat then he's had enough. I feed mine snails, frozen krill, and i toss a live cricket in every now and again (i have them on hand for my lizard) and he really like them...he eats head first then the body. they are very smart hunters, they swim around their prey, swimming close then making like they're not interested, then wham. also if u see them swimming up and down the glass alot it prob means they're bored. they like things to swim through and around. it's even good to rearrange ur design from time to time to give them new things to explore.

butterbean 3 11-29-2006 11:50 PM

:wave: Wow finally someone with not only a brackish tank but a gsp :blink: Yes their little belly’s should be round after eating however they should never have a flat or sunken belly that is one of the signs of IP's. I started with 2-F8's as my first puffers but I lost them when they arrived sick and me not knowing enough about puffers to help them. We now have a gsp and he is healthy, happy and we are having so much fun watching him. I've thought of trying crickets for my Oscars but hadn’t thought of them for my gsp. Ours loves blood worms he won't eat them when we first put them in but loves to hunt and stock them before he pounces and eats them we also feed krill, plankton, shrimp & snails. I started raising snails about a month ago. How long have you had yours and do you have the eel in the same tank??

squiggles 11-30-2006 10:50 AM

i can't remember how long we've had our puffer, not to long. the eel is in the same tank and he seems more scared of the puffer then the puffer is of him. he's not to big tho that will change and he'll need bigger tank. when i went to get a puffer i thought they only had f8's but i was happily surprised to see the gsp and grabbed him.i also read that they are sensitive to ammonia and nitites and nitrates too. i keep my specific gravity at about 1.005-1.006 right now but will increase it as he gets older, he's pretty young right nowhttp://www.fishforum.com/userpix/487...7Qf12WQ1_1.jpg
http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/487...ZHoTMRg1_1.jpg this is pic of my little puffer and the other one is the eel in his home...my husband thought a skull was an appropriate home for a moray :roll:

butterbean 3 11-30-2006 12:32 PM

Nice pictures :) I've been trying to get a picture of gizmo but so far no luck. I don't know much about moray's so did some reading quite the combanation, from what I've read he needs high brackish to marine, is going to get really big :shock: and is also quite the hunter. I think I would be afraid one morining one or the other would be toast :lol: but must say he is a cutie I know my hubby would like him so I'm not showing him the picture :lol: about how many inches is your gsp, eel?