Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Aquarium update (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aquarium-update-98542/)

Jester10 04-11-2012 10:11 PM

Aquarium update

Hey Its been about 3 months since i got my aquarium going and aside from a couple hiccups is doing awesome. My current stock is as follows:

8 Black phantom tetra 2 males and 6 females
5 angels 3 mixed color/marble and 2 blue black.
3 otos
1 dwarf gourami (red flame morph) his name is Red
I had another it was a powder blue named Blue. I think it got dropsy. Was pinecone shaped and soon after died i did several 40% water changes for a week and had no ammonia or nitrate and very little nitrite, so i think it was a bacteria problem and i do believe because they are inbreed so bad his immune system was compromised. I hope now Red will be ok. ANY INPUT ON THIS MATTER IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
1 Colombian zebra pleco

Anyway i have some plants as well:
2 anubias
1 melon sword.
6-7 Wisteria

All of my plants are doing very well and my melon sword and anubias plants have doubled in size if not tripled. I seem to be getting 1-2 leaves on the melon every week and a set on the wisteria in about the same time. The anubias is slower as expected but is doing really well.

I'm want to get an amazon sword which i plan on getting soon and/or a brazilain pennywort plant if i can find one in the pittsburgh area (wink wink) so if anyone is selling send me a PM.

Another thing is I got green dot algae and I reduced light from 12 hrs to 7 hrs. I was wondering if turning heat up or down would help or is their any other ways short using a razor or something to scrub the walls with.

Inga 04-12-2012 08:20 AM

A magnet cleaner works well on tank glass. Aquarium Glass Algae Scrapers: Glass Only Mag-Float If you have an acrylic tank Acrylic Aquarium Algae Scrapers: Acrylic Safe Mag-Float

I hope you can get some Pennywort as well. It is an awesome plant. It is so pretty either planted or floating. Makes fabulous cover for the fish.

Your water parameters suggest your tank is not fully cycled. In a fully cycled tank your readings would show 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and small amounts of Nitrate assuming the water is clean. In a planted tank, especially heavily planted the Nitrate would likely be 5 ppm or less.

What size tank is this?

Your stocking list is similar to my 60 gallon tank. I also have 5 Angels, 1 Dwarf Flame Gourami, 7 Otos. From there we are different. I also have an Opaline Gourami, 18 Cories, a Rubbernose Pleco and a bunch of snails. I wills say your Angels will very much appreciate some floating plants. They like to hang out under the cover of plants. http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...nk/fish006.jpg

Jester10 04-12-2012 11:40 PM

Wow you have lots of fish!!! I got the algea taken care of. I have a 75 gallon tank.

I want another colorful fish if I have the room. Any suggestions??

Byron 04-13-2012 10:41 AM

You could have another group (or two) of characins (tetra, etc). For some colour, the Roberts Tetra or Rosy Tetra work well with angels and Black Phantom. These do not fin nip (or shouldn't) so they are fine. A group of 8-9 of whichever. Perhaps a few more male Black Phantom too, their displaying to each other is lovely to watch, and a larger number of males would be good. Maybe another 3-4 males.

These are all lower-strata fish (= remain in the lower half of the tank) so for some upper interest, hatchetfish. I would suggest either the common Silver Hatchetfish or the Marble Hatchetfish.

All mentioned fish are in our profiles, click the shaded names.

The green dot algae is light-related, but common. Easiest way to deal with this is to clean the inside glass at every water change with a sponge-type scraper, whether it looks like it needs it or not. This will catch the green dot algae before you can even see it. Once you do see it, it is stubborn and usually a stiff scraper and even a razor blade may be needed; be careful not to scratch the glass. If acrylic, don't use a razor blade.

Byron.

Jester10 04-13-2012 11:14 AM

They are all over tank all the time! I consider them all 3 lvl fish! Lol if I were to get the hatchets how many can I put in comfortably if I add 3 male black phantoms. How many rosy tetra could add? do they go by different names? I usually can't find them and my lfs doesn't know what im talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-14-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester10 (Post 1045618)
They are all over tank all the time! I consider them all 3 lvl fish! Lol if I were to get the hatchets how many can I put in comfortably if I add 3 male black phantoms. How many rosy tetra could add? do they go by different names? I usually can't find them and my lfs doesn't know what im talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hatchetfish need a decent group, they are very skittish otherwise. If you get the Marbles, no less than 10, if the Silver no less than 8.

Rosy or Roberts Tetra, a group of 8-12, with either aim for about half male half female. These are not always easy to find, they often appear at certain times of the year when they are available since they will be wild caught. If you're in Penn, there's a good fish store that i can't remember the name of, but another member mentioned it a while back. Someone may remember.