Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   65 Gallon Tank.... What would you do (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/65-gallon-tank-what-would-you-98454/)

bigehugedome 04-10-2012 09:54 PM

65 Gallon Tank.... What would you do

Hey All,

A buddy of a buddy is hooking me up with a 65gallon tank/stand/eheim canister...FOR FREE. It is rimless with black silicone. The glass is pretty thick, he uses it for saltwater now and is moving to a bigger tank. Unfortunately, as I do not have the space, and may be moving in a few months to another apartment, this tank my be in my parents garage for a year or two.

So since Im not setting this up for a while, I wanted to see how you guys would stock a 65. Being only in the hobby for 1 1/2 years I still have alot to learn, and I like hearing what you guys would/are doing. Then i can research further before I actually set up the tank.

So for now, if you guys feel like sharing a 65 gallon stock list or biotope you would setup, feel free to share! I like thinking about future setups, and hopefully some of you guys do too!

Christople 04-10-2012 10:41 PM

A group of Geophagus 'Red Head Tapajoz' would look amazing. Or maybe a harem or two of Apistogramma species

Geomancer 04-11-2012 06:39 AM

There are numerous options, too many to choose from.

I would suggest picking a 'must have' fish, then stocking around that one fish.

For me with my 125 gallon that I'm setting up now I choose the Angelfish so all my other choices stemmed from that.

You say the tank is rimless? Does that mean it does not have a hood/cover/lid? You'll likely want to find something to correct that. Lots of fish are jumpers, water evaporation is reduced, heat is retained better, and your lights are protected from the humidity. In terms of light ... don't use any T5HO fixtures he had for the saltwater as it will be too bright for most freshwater fish (unless you are going high tech planted).

thekoimaiden 04-11-2012 12:07 PM

You've got a lot of options. It's large enough to hold some of the larger fish or make some massive schools of little fish. I would probably use it for making massive (20+ individuals) schools of fish because it's not quite large enough for the number of goldfish I want nor is it large enough for archer fish (another goal of mine). Others would suggest cichlids, but I'm not a fan (with the exception of discus). They look too much like centrarchids (bass and sunfish) to me.

bigehugedome 04-11-2012 01:23 PM

Cool guys. Like I said, Iím not worrying so much now about how I would can stock it, I just like seeing how others would stock it. Itís just cool to hear the personal opinions of other keepers rather than me say "hey whatís wrong with this stock list" and then have you guys correct me.

Iím not saying thatís annoying or anything. I REALLY appreciate the hard work everyone puts into this hobby to help others make knowledgeable decisions. And I have and will in the future ask "hey whatís wrong with this stock list", but for now I figured It would be neat to let other people explain what they would do with the only limitation being the size of the tank, and coming up with stock that works well together(ph can be in any range since I dont know what my water will be like when I set the tank up, but obviously all suggested fish should be compatiable). In a lot of posts every says that wonít suggest fish because the keeper should be able to keep what they are interested in and not what is forced upon them, and I respect that, but since this tank is not in a planning stage, Iím encouraging you to suggest specific fish based on your tastes. Sorry if it was not as fun as an activity as I originally thought it could be :|

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1042888)
You say the tank is rimless? Does that mean it does not have a hood/cover/lid? You'll likely want to find something to correct that. Lots of fish are jumpers, water evaporation is reduced, heat is retained better, and your lights are protected from the humidity. In terms of light ... don't use any T5HO fixtures he had for the saltwater as it will be too bright for most freshwater fish (unless you are going high tech planted).

however this i s a great question as Im not sure how to get a lid on this bad boy! He does have those crazy elevated T5HO for corals on it now, and he is keeping that. Im only getting the Tank, stand and one canister. So I will have to make/buy something. Especially because I always plan on having cats and I perfer full aquatic catfish over the land type :-P. But like I said, I maybe have two years to come up with something. And by that time who knows, I may have money for an even bigger tank!

Geomancer 04-11-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigehugedome (Post 1043258)
however this i s a great question as Im not sure how to get a lid on this bad boy! He does have those crazy elevated T5HO for corals on it now, and he is keeping that. Im only getting the Tank, stand and one canister. So I will have to make/buy something. Especially because I always plan on having cats and I perfer full aquatic catfish over the land type :-P. But like I said, I maybe have two years to come up with something. And by that time who knows, I may have money for an even bigger tank!

You can build a DIY canopy for it. Basically you build a wood box that is the exact size of the tank so the frame of the box rests directly over the edge of the aquarium. Then to keep it from moving around, you put some trim around the edge of the box that extends down along the sides of the tank an inch or two. That would get you a nice top, and easy surface for mounting lights, but still wouldn't give you a glass cover, that would take a bit more thinking, but a canopy covers up anything ugly looking.

Provided you seal the wood from moisture, and use a light fixture designed for aquariums (so humidity doesn't harm it) you could get by with just that.