Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Too many fish? 1 aggressive fish is a problem. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/too-many-fish-1-aggressive-fish-98410/)

bklynlatinlady 04-09-2012 02:16 PM

Too many fish? 1 aggressive fish is a problem.

I have a 20 gallon high tank with 1 Albino Cory, 2 Black Spotted Cory, 1 Clown Loach, 6 Gouaramis (2 blue Gourami, 2 pearl Gourami, and 2 Opaline Gouramis - not sure if the last is the right name, its Orange), 1 Swordtail, 1 Angelfish= 12 in total. Is that too many fish?
Then my other problem are my Gouaramis specifically 1 chases the others. He behaved for about 2-3 weeks, then the tag race began. The rest are all friendly with each other. The Swordtail seems to be afraid of the Gouarami that chases all the rest. He isn't even hounded by him much but is definitely afraid. Even some of my other Gouramis hide from him. Is there any way to calm him down? I tried once separating a previous Gouaram to a bowl I had because it was aggressive, he jumped out of the bowl. I saved him in time but I had to put him back in the tank if not he was going to attempt suicide again lol.

thekoimaiden 04-09-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklynlatinlady (Post 1040974)
I have a 20 gallon high tank with 1 Albino Cory, 2 Black Spotted Cory, 1 Clown Loach, 6 Gouaramis (2 blue Gourami, 2 pearl Gourami, and 2 Opaline Gouramis - not sure if the last is the right name, its Orange), 1 Swordtail, 1 Angelfish= 12 in total. Is that too many fish?
Then my other problem are my Gouaramis specifically 1 chases the others. He behaved for about 2-3 weeks, then the tag race began. The rest are all friendly with each other. The Swordtail seems to be afraid of the Gouarami that chases all the rest. He isn't even hounded by him much but is definitely afraid. Even some of my other Gouramis hide from him. Is there any way to calm him down? I tried once separating a previous Gouaram to a bowl I had because it was aggressive, he jumped out of the bowl. I saved him in time but I had to put him back in the tank if not he was going to attempt suicide again lol.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to say, but your tank has a lot of problems. No fear. We will do our best to give you a happy, healthy home for your fish.

First off, if you click the shaded name of a fish you will be directed to a page with information about the fish including minimum tank size and recommended tankmates. I highly suggest you do this. You can also search for a fish using the Tropical Fish Profiles found in the upper left hand directly below the TropicalFishKeeping.com logo. These tools will be your best friend for a little bit while you get familiar with your fish.

To answer your question: yes. You do have too many fish, but that isn't your only problem. Let me see if I can outline a few things for you here.

1: no more than one gourami in a tank of that size as they are rather aggressive towards each other. In fact all of the gourami you have are get too large for that tank (most get 5+ inches long). Cramming those fish into a small tank is contributing to your aggression. Also gourami just don't get along with gourami in the first place. They are closely related to betta fish and share some of the aggressive tendencies. These aren't something you can train out of the fish like you can with a dog.

2: the clown loach is a schooling fish and needs groups of 6 or more. They also grow around 10 inches long and need a huge tank. You can see all of this outlined in the clown loach profile. If you like the look of the loach, there are some others that will stay small and can fit in your tank.

3: Your angelfish is also going to outgrow the tank. They get huge. I think I remember seeing that they are about 10 inches HIGH when fully grown. That's one taaaaaaaaall fish. They do best in groups of 5 or more and shouldn't be kept with gourami due to both species having aggressive tendencies.

However, your cories will go great in the tank. They are interesting little buggers that really do best in groups of 3 or more of the same species. Meaning you should have 6 cories total to make them feel really secure.

bklynlatinlady 04-10-2012 11:20 AM

Thank you, very informative. I asked at the pet store before I bought more Gouramis, they told me they get along and are Community fish, obviously they were wrong. Are there any other community fish which are not aggressive which may suit my tank better. I love my Clown Loach he is truly one of my favorite. I have bought a couple others for him to have a buddy and swim alone with but they never end up surviving unfortunately. My cory are great, they swim up and down sometimes in unison, looks like they are dancing. I want to expand and buy a bigger tank. I just don't have the room right now.
My 2 bettas in a separate tank do great with their divider of course. They make 1 year now.

Thank you.

Byron 04-10-2012 12:01 PM

I concur with thekoimaiden's suggestions. It is sad that many fish stores are only interested in selling fish, not in ensuring they will be healthy.

My advice is to return some of the fish because their health will suffer and they will likely die not far down the road. The gourami, if any are male, will become aggressive. Fish that need groups like the loach will be severely stressed alone. A 20g is not sufficient space for this fish to properly develop, and having a group of 4 or 5 is even worse in such a limited space.

Better to have healthy fish that live normal lives.:-)

And welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.

thekoimaiden 04-10-2012 12:43 PM

I'm very sorry your local pet store is just trying to make a sale. I have a few local pet stores like that. It's really rather sad.

I understand that you can't upgrade right now, but this means you're probably going to have to give away some of your fish. The gourami should be the first to go as the tank will never be peaceful with them around. All the pearl gourami and blue gourami (the opaline gourami are just color varients of the blue gourami) should go in separate tanks that are at least 3 feet long. The angelfish should go in another 3-foot tank.

And the clown loach should go in a tank longer than 6 feet! :shock: Gee, those guys get large. I forgot how big they can grow. I once looked into getting them because they were soo cute in the stores tanks, but having the house them in a tank larger than me kinda snapped me back to reality. Loaches Online - My ClownLoach Aquarium This is a great article about a clown loach setup. Loaches Online - ClownLoach (Chromobotia macracanthus) There is a picture of an 11 inch clown loach if you scroll down a bit.

Now I know you are thinking: where on earth am I going to find someone to take all these fish? If you can find a local aquarium club many times you can go to a meeting and offer your fish to the members. If you explain your story about bad pet store advice, most people are rather understanding. Returning them to the store is another option, but it depends on the return policies of the store. Sometimes you can say "well they outgrew my tank" and the store will give you credit.

Now onto fish that would be a good fit for your tank. I know you love your clown loach and the good news is there are loaches like him that can fit in your tank! The dwarf loach (click the name to see a picture) is a good fit. Keep them in a group and they will be even more entertaining. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...no-fish-96186/ This is a great list of fish that have the potential to fit in your tank. Look through it and since the names are hardly descriptive, click on the shaded names for a picture as well as water parameters and suggested tankmates. The last bit of info we need to know before you begin to stock your tank is how hard your local water is. If you know your water treatment plant you can ask them. Otherwise some people can find it online. It's always best to get fish that do best in your water. Things like hardness can be changed, but it's not easy. Also feel free to ask about anything that you are unsure of. We're here to help!