Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   2 female Gourami fighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/2-female-gourami-fighting-98396/)

EdwardBracher 04-10-2012 05:54 AM

2 female Gourami fighting

Hi everyone!

Have set up my first aquarium (about 4 weeks old now) and it is currently stocked with 6 Red Platys and one gold and one opaline Gourami. The Opaline is a lot bigger than the Gold and keeps picking on her (They are both female). No injuries have been caused yet but I am worried the gold will become exhausted and give up swimming away. Is there a way to stop them doing this? Is the tank too small for these 2 Gourami?

The tanks is decorated with rocks and silk plants.
pH 7.4
25-27 oC

Thanks guys!

GwenInNM 04-10-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardBracher (Post 1041793)
Hi everyone!

Have set up my first aquarium (about 4 weeks old now) and it is currently stocked with 6 Red Platys and one gold and one opaline Gourami. The Opaline is a lot bigger than the Gold and keeps picking on her (They are both female). No injuries have been caused yet but I am worried the gold will become exhausted and give up swimming away. Is there a way to stop them doing this? Is the tank too small for these 2 Gourami?

The tanks is decorated with rocks and silk plants.
pH 7.4
25-27 oC

Thanks guys!

Opaline Gourami's are aggressive to their own, more often than not. You don't say how big your tank is. I would guess anything less than a 50 gal, may be too small for 2 Gourami's together. You do need to get the smaller one out of the tank, because eventually she will die with the stress the other is causing. I could be wrong, but I'd be thinking about re-homing her. She what others say.

Gwen

1077 04-10-2012 09:34 AM

Gourami often don't get along with other gourami unless very large tank is being used to house them.
Would also note that gourami prefer soft ,warm water, while platy's prefer cool ,hard water.
Might be able to keep them together for a while,but one or the other will not be comfortable = stress=shorter lifespan ,and or frequently sickly fish (ie) finrot,fungus,ich,etc.

EdwardBracher 04-11-2012 03:39 AM

its a 110 litre tank (25-30 galleons depending on US or UK galleons)

hrrm perhaps I should take the other back and see if the store will exchange her

thanks for your help everyone! Wish the shop had not told me they should be bought as a pair!

Byron 04-11-2012 04:58 PM

I would return them, for the reasons other members have mentioned. "Pair" should mean a male/female of the same species, though even this is not a good idea with these medium-sized gourami, which should best be one male with 2-3 females, but in sufficient space.

Byron.