Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cleaning my tank glass... And glass hood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cleaning-my-tank-glass-glass-hood-98355/)

Macrocosm 04-09-2012 07:08 PM

Cleaning my tank glass... And glass hood

Ok I dont have a clue what to clean the outside of my tank with or for that matter what I clean my glass tank hood with. I am pretty sure that anything with ammonia is bad... But I would like to clean the outside from my kids hand prints and would love to get the hard water stains and calcium off of my glass tank hood.

Let the suggestions fly!!

Thanks again tank gurus!!!

Tetra Guy 04-09-2012 07:58 PM

I clean the outside of my tanks with a damp paper towel. If it's really bad, I've put a drip of window cleaner on the towel. Take the top hood off and use a razor blade to scrape some of the calcuim off. I use a blade that was made to scrape the aquarium glass. Lemon juice can also help with hard water. Just make sure not to get it in your tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

lorax84 04-09-2012 08:12 PM

I usually use a non ammonia glass cleaner for the outside of my tanks, but only if I am taking pictures or something. For everything else I use just water. If for some reason I need something stronger I add a little vinegar to the water. Just make sure everything is rinsed really well, vinegar is an acid that can affect your water parameters.

Hanky 04-09-2012 08:17 PM

I just spray some windex on a papertowel and wipe the glass, your fine as long as you dont get it in the water.
Glass hoods I put in the shower, scrape hard stuff with razor then use Scotch Brite Green scrubby and a little vinegar, just rinse well.

Romad 04-09-2012 08:38 PM

I use white vinegar for both outside glass and hoods.

I clean the glass hoods during water changes in the sink with a piece of blue scrubby stuff that they sell for glass aquariums (the same stuff they sell to wipe down the inside of the tank walls to remove any algae.

I wouldn't use the same one after putting vinegar on it for the inside of the tank tho.

Geomancer 04-10-2012 07:16 AM

Vinegar works well for cleaning the glass, I have a 50/50 mixture with water in a spray bottle. It will also remove hard water deposits. If the deposits are really bad, you can just leave the vinegar on for some time to let it soak in.

As long as you clean off any residue you are fine, it is safer to use than ammonia.

Macrocosm 04-10-2012 04:47 PM

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

madyotto 01-26-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macrocosm (Post 1041245)
Ok I dont have a clue what to clean the outside of my tank with or for that matter what I clean my glass tank hood with. I am pretty sure that anything with ammonia is bad... But I would like to clean the outside from my kids hand prints and would love to get the hard water stains and calcium off of my glass tank hood.

Let the suggestions fly!!

Thanks again tank gurus!!!

Know this is an old post but the easyest way to remove calcium has been missed

for the tank glass
i use white viniger pure smells abit but is sure to break up greesey hand print etc

for hoods with calcium and hard water marks remove the hood and then use abit of lime water and add a bit of baking soda and rub in then rinse of with warm water your hood will look like new

Nilet699 01-26-2013 06:37 AM

Well lets hope he worked it out in the last 9 months.......

AS he's not going to see it as he's not been active for the last 8.

But hell, someone will learn from the post non the less :-D

madyotto 01-26-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1406189)
Well lets hope he worked it out in the last 9 months.......

AS he's not going to see it as he's not been active for the last 8.

But hell, someone will learn from the post non the less :-D

thats it i come accross it today to see what had been said so many will with search bar lol :P