Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Silly question about wood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/silly-question-about-wood-98343/)

InsaneIchthyology 04-09-2012 04:01 PM

Silly question about wood

I've seen a lot of pics on here that have pieces of what looks like wood in the tank.
It looks pretty cool.
So do you buy it or find it? (I'm just gonna assume buying but you never know)
What's its called? Driftwood?
I obviously have no clue about wood. lol

KCheek 04-09-2012 04:15 PM

I would suggest purchasing wood through your lfs, simply because it is safer for most hobbyists. I know that there is a way to cure and seal wood, I have just not been interested in learning how to do it. Do not put regular wood from your back yard in without sealing it though, there are parasites, chemicals and other things that can get in your tank.

NeonRainbow123 04-09-2012 04:45 PM

In my LFS (in the Uk) its called bogwood not sure about USA though, you'll probably be able to find it on eBay under that name anyhow
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 04-09-2012 05:33 PM

You need to be care at the LPS or LFS about buying driftwood (yes even at the store LoL) because depending on the type you buy you might have problems out of it even though it says it is "safe" it may not be. One example is Mopani wood is a type you can buy (is the only kind I can find locally) in the store. It says it is safe for aquariums when in fact it can and often does leech out white fungus from the wood. This fungus can be toxic and kill your fish. I have had this wood several times and got the fungus lucky it never killed my fish but there are others on here that have lost fish due to this. Malaysian driftwood is a good type you can buy if you can get it locally. If it is called something different just ask and someone can tell ya about.

Oh ment to say (so adding it now) there are no stupid/silly question except for the ones you dont ask. You don't know until you ask right? So ask any question everyone here is nice and will be more then happy to answer no matter the question.

ladayen 04-09-2012 05:41 PM

I've only recently started to add driftwood to my tanks and only use malaysian driftwood. Many use mopani but there is a slight chance it may grow a toxic fungus at some point down the road, grapewood is also offered for sale at some stores however I have read several horror stories of mould and fungus growing on this wood so I would recommend you avoid it.

Driftwood is added for numerous reasons. Many plecos require a certain amount of wood in thier diet, it adds a natural look to the tank, certain plants such as anubias and java fern need to be anchored and cannot be planted in the gravel so driftwood is used as the plant roots will actually dig into the wood, also the wood will release tannins which will make the water a yellowish tea color, again this can make for a more natural look also the tannins will lower the PH of the tank. If the yellowish color and/or the lower PH is undersireable you can boil or soak the wood to remove the tannins before placing it in your tank.

Tetra Guy 04-09-2012 05:45 PM

I use Malaysian Driftwood. It's heavy and will sink to the bottom of your tank and it looks great. It may 'tan' your water for a time, an effect called tannins. It is harmless and will self correct over time.

TwinDad 04-09-2012 05:48 PM

Malaysian Driftwood. I bought mine online there are numerous places that sell it.

Ogre44 04-09-2012 06:33 PM

Stay away from the grapewood.
Grows a horrible looking whitish fungus that is quite possibly highly toxic to the fish.
It also decomposes rapidly which raises your ammonia and nitrite levels, as well as releases horrific amounts of thick sticky sap that gums everything up.
Worst mistake I've ever made in a fishtank.

Romad 04-09-2012 08:43 PM

Agree with using Malaysian driftwood and not Mopani. I had the same fungus issue with Mopani and it was a real chore to try to get it off. It came back even after boiling it for hours. Never again.

Byron 04-10-2012 10:42 AM

Likewise. Malaysian Driftwood is the safest and best wood I have found. I had toxic fungus with Mopani (it may have been grapewood) that killed fish.