Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New Member (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-member-98331/)

mikeeason 04-09-2012 01:47 PM

HI everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have a 55 gal freshwater tank, and am really into this hobby right now. Since I was a kid, I've had this dream to have a huge freshwater fish tank, with tons of live plants, and tons of small to medium fish dwelling in and around the plants, in schools, etc. and to have the tank mimic the wild conditions of the fish as well as possible.

Right now my favourite fish are my german blue rams (male and female). I am kind of crazy over raising these fish. My dream of the plants has not been realized yet, as only some of the plants I've tried have grown well. I also have too much algae in the tank, especially on the leaves of the plants. I have two bristle-nosed plecos in there, but so far, they have not controlled the algae. Also, I'd like a deeper tank, as I dont feel that a 55 gal is deep enough (front to back). Ideally, I'd like a tank that is 2 feet in depth, to allow the arrangement of plants to be easier, and more gradual from font to back. I like to leave around 6 inches in the front of the tank open for swimming. In a 55 gal tank (12 inches in depth), that only leaves 6 inches of depth for plants.

Good to be here ... looking forward to hearing from you all.

Mike

InsaneIchthyology 04-09-2012 02:05 PM

Welcome
I'm pretty new as well :)

rhymon78 04-09-2012 02:20 PM

Welcome!

Everyone is pretty amazing around here, the depths of their fishy guru minds are almost bottomless!

People are friendly, and if you ask a question.... you'll get a fairly in depth, and helpful response.

enjoy!

Boredomb 04-09-2012 02:23 PM

Hey Mike Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping! Glad you found us! I all have a 55gall tank and I know what you mean about being to narrow width wise. One of the main things that determine algae growth is Lighting both duration and intensity. So what kind of lights do you have? Also do you use any fertilizers if so what kind?

mikeeason 04-09-2012 02:25 PM

i have the t5 lights, and I use a fertiizer, but dont remember the name. I buy it at Petco, and its like a yellow liquid I dump in upon every water change.

Boredomb 04-09-2012 02:37 PM

Are these T5s high outputs or normal outputs? Also how many bulbs? I know this is a lot of questions but it makes a difference for example 1 T5HO over a 55 would be medium lighting but 2 would be high lighting. 2 T5NO would be the same as 1 T5HO. I have 2 T8 over my tank on for 8 hours. That would be about the same as one T5HO.

onefish2fish 04-09-2012 02:50 PM

fwiw, a standard 75 is the same size as a standard 55 but wider. that doesnt help much if you already have the 55 though.

the t5s are to much light ( unless using c02) and its contributing to the algae. plecos also dont do to much as for "algae cleanup" and usually carry a large bioload.

welcome to the forum.

KCheek 04-09-2012 03:52 PM

Hi new person! I am new to the forum too... I just found it a few hours ago, and I am already enjoying myself here. People are nice, and there are some gorgeous tanks on here. O.o

fish joey 04-10-2012 07:38 PM

Welcome to TFK :-D

BarbH 04-17-2012 10:46 AM

Hello and welcome to TFK