Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   plants maintain but don't grow? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-maintain-but-dont-grow-98324/)

arscott82 04-09-2012 01:46 PM

plants maintain but don't grow?

4 Attachment(s)
First off all my specs will be at the end of this.

Lets start here, I've had my planted tank up and going for about 4 months now. All of plants are doing fine with the exception of a little yellowing of just a couple leaves every once in awhile. But the thing is nothing is really growing, they are all just staying the same as when I bought them. What am I doing wrong? Why is nothing growing? Getting frustrated.

29 gallon tank.

For fish:
5 neon tetra
5 glow light tetra
2 false julie cats
1 dwarf albino brisel nose
1 Cherry barb- tried to catch him but to fast and didn't want to mess up plants
2 Otos
3 Amino Shrimp
2 Cherry Shrimp

Don't know really any names of the plants, but you can look at the pic
I do know the dwarf baby tears, which I wanted to grow real bad but didn't. The cats swim around it so much most is floating up top.

Lights: 1 6500 and 1 5000 on for usually 9 hours a day, but lately been getting black hair algae and green spot algae so I now have them on for just 7 hours
Substrate: 15 pds black florite and 20pds black sand
Filter: Eheim 2232 canister

Additives:
monday-2.5ml flourish comp and 2.5ml flourish iron
tuesday-3/32 of KH2P04 and 3/16 KNO3
thursday-same as monday
friday-1/16 KH2PO4 and 1/8 KNO3
every day- 2.5ml flourish excel

Water change is about 40% every sunday
temp 77-78
ph is steady around 7.6
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate always between 0-5

ladayen 04-09-2012 02:21 PM

Are you using Co2 at all?

It looks to me like you're overdosing on the ferts.

InsaneIchthyology 04-09-2012 02:22 PM

I'm definitely no expert on plants, but when I had some, they didn't grow for a really long time either. They could just be slow growing plants.

arscott82 04-09-2012 02:27 PM

no co2.

And I got most of my dosing info fromhttp://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/planted-aquarium/low-tech-planted-tank-guide/

I was thinking the same thing about slow growing, but a couple months I would think I would see some growth?

Geomancer 04-09-2012 02:49 PM

Well ... slow growth is slow, like 1 leaf every 2-4 weeks on some of the slower growers like Anubias.

While you are not injecting DIY or pressurized CO2 ... you are using Excel which has much the same effect but in chemical form. Some plants do not respond to Excel but I don't know enough about it to say which.

With any high tech setup you need the light and nutrients to balance, is your light fixture a dual T8 or T5HO?

Low tech is no carbon supplements in any form, just natural CO2 from fish respiration and the breaking down of organics in the substrate. Usually these are low to moderate light setups, which is usually a single T8 or a dual T8. In almost all cases, a dual T5HO would require a high tech setup.

arscott82 04-09-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1040942)
With any high tech setup you need the light and nutrients to balance, is your light fixture a dual T8 or T5HO?

It's two separate t8 fixtures. One in the center of my glass top and one in front. Both 24 inch light bulbs

Mikaila31 04-09-2012 03:58 PM

I would actually say fertilizers are low. Nitrate at least is. You should keep that 10-20ppm for your tank IMO. You do have a number of slow growing plants though as pointed out.

arscott82 04-09-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 1041008)
I would actually say fertilizers are low. Nitrate at least is. You should keep that 10-20ppm for your tank IMO. You do have a number of slow growing plants though as pointed out.

All of them or just my dry ferts? Or in that case my liquid ones?

I want to say thanks for the help here. I can only read up so much info before my brain hurts and I start getting to many different answers.

arscott82 04-09-2012 05:16 PM

Forgot to mention... Just yesterday when I did my water change I added 5 root tabs

lorax84 04-09-2012 10:57 PM

With your tank you should not need to dose individual trace elements. Just comp once a week should be more than enough nutrients. The Anubais is probably yellowing from too much light. Anubais grows best when it does not receive a ton of direct light. The vallisneria you have in the back right side will probably never grow as long as you are dosing excel, vallisneria hate excel. If I were you I would cut back to dosing just Comp, once a week as directed on the bottle.