Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Clown pleco question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/clown-pleco-question-98318/)

jack26707 04-09-2012 11:12 AM

Clown pleco question

what is th minimum tak size for a clown pleco and hw big does it get? Thanks.

InsaneIchthyology 04-09-2012 11:49 AM

It depends how big it is now, but all the plecos that I've had only grow as big as the tank allows. So if its really big right now, then a big tank is good, but if it's small then a 10-20 gal minimum might work.

Philnominal 04-09-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsaneIchthyology (Post 1040778)
It depends how big it is now, but all the plecos that I've had only grow as big as the tank allows. So if its really big right now, then a big tank is good, but if it's small then a 10-20 gal minimum might work.

No offense to you, but as far as the fish concerns this is horrible information. Plecos may grow to fit their tanks but them being confined to a tank to small is awful for their health and stresses them out. They also do a number on the bioload of that tank which makes worse conditions for any of the other inhabitants. Most plecos people buy are common plecos and need a tank large enough to support a 2 ft monster. IMHO anything under 5ft long and 100 gallons is way to small.

Now clown plecos are some of the smaller plecos. They only get about 4-5 inches so a 20 gallon would be a good min. They need driftwood in other to eat it and help with their digestion and you probably wont see it very often. They tend to be very skittish plecos. Also wait until the tank is established, not cichlid but has a good algae colony going already. Makes sure the pleco has food. Also if you check where you typed Clown Pleco its shades a diff color? Click that and it will give you a link to a care sheet on how to take care of them.

InsaneIchthyology 04-09-2012 01:25 PM

To be honest, I'm glad to know that, because the info I posted is what I've been told since I got my first tank. So no offense taken :)

Philnominal 04-09-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 1040850)
No offense to you, but as far as the fish concerns this is horrible information. Plecos may grow to fit their tanks but them being confined to a tank to small is awful for their health and stresses them out. They also do a number on the bioload of that tank which makes worse conditions for any of the other inhabitants. Most plecos people buy are common plecos and need a tank large enough to support a 2 ft monster. IMHO anything under 5ft long and 100 gallons is way to small.

Now clown plecos are some of the smaller plecos. They only get about 4-5 inches so a 20 gallon would be a good min. They need driftwood in other (in order not other) to eat it and help with their digestion and you probably wont see it very often. They tend to be very skittish plecos. Also wait until the tank is established, not cichlid (cycled not cichlid) but has a good algae colony going already. Makes sure the pleco has food. Also if you check where you typed Clown Pleco its shades a diff color? Click that and it will give you a link to a care sheet on how to take care of them.

This is an example of what posting when you feel are just waking up does to you.

lorax84 04-09-2012 04:46 PM

Clown Plecos get to be about 5" and need at least 20g, although they would do better in a 29g. They need driftwood in the tank, they will also need fresh veggies to supplement their diet. Even if you had a tank full of algea, algea does not meet all the dietary needs of this pleco. Also plan on feeding some kind of food with protein once a week.