Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What should my next fish be? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-should-my-next-fish-98269/)

Macrocosm 04-08-2012 08:56 PM

What should my next fish be?
 
Right now:
two Emerald Cory
one Dalmation Molly
one Glass Catfish
one X-ray Tetra

I am not going to be adding any fish to my tank until my water clears and the plants have established.

I would like to add hardy fish... I would also love to add some color. I was told that the fish that I have would do ok with Semi-Agressive fish, is that the case?

Anyway just excited that my tank is not brown anymore.... and getting excited... but patiently excited... to grow my fish community.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Christian

fishyy 04-08-2012 09:09 PM

att least one more cory
at least 2 more glass catfish
at least 2 more x-ray tetra

Almost all of those fish are grouping fish at least 3, recomended 5+
If you dont have enough room, give some back to the store, they need to be in groups

fishyy 04-08-2012 09:13 PM

How many gallons?
Guppies are hardy colorful fish, but unless you want millions of them, don't put males and females together.
Cardinal tetras are semi-hardy colorful little fish as well
platys, mollies, swordtails also are
For something larger, get some honey gouramis, not the dwarfs unless you have a 25+ gallon tank, they can get aggressive if not given enough space

Macrocosm 04-08-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyy (Post 1040154)
att least one more cory
at least 2 more glass catfish
at least 2 more x-ray tetra

Almost all of those fish are grouping fish at least 3, recomended 5+
If you dont have enough room, give some back to the store, they need to be in groups

I have a 46 gallon tank..... Still a good idea?

Byron 04-09-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macrocosm (Post 1040130)
Right now:
two Emerald Cory
one Dalmation Molly
one Glass Catfish
one X-ray Tetra

I am not going to be adding any fish to my tank until my water clears and the plants have established.

I would like to add hardy fish... I would also love to add some color. I was told that the fish that I have would do ok with Semi-Agressive fish, is that the case?

Anyway just excited that my tank is not brown anymore.... and getting excited... but patiently excited... to grow my fish community.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Christian

I didn't comment on the fish in my posts in the other thread as I didn't want to get into another subject with the problems you had. So now, here we go.

We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If the scientific or common name is used in a post identical to the name in the profile, it will shade, as Glass Catfish did in your post. This means you can click the shaded name and see that species' profile. Info on water parameters, numbers (for shoaling fish), tank sizes, compatibility, etc. is included.

As you'll see from the Glass Catfish, it has specific needs with respect to water parameters, being soft water. Livebearers are medium hard basic water, so the two are not a good mix as someone is going to suffer. You also need a group, 5-6 of the Glass, and it needs lots of plants for security. A skittish fish.

Common Molly definitely must have hard water, as noted in the profile.

The Cory (if that is Corydoras aeneus or Brochis splendens, whichever) is adaptable, as is the Pristella Tetra, to slightly acidic or slightly basic water. Both are shoaling so a group is needed, 3-5 of the cory and 6+ of the Pristella.

If you know your tap water hardness and pH, it will be easier to decide on fish. The GH you can find out from the water supply folks, they may have a website. pH you can test, shake the water briskly to de-gas CO2 before testing tap water pH.

Byron.

Macrocosm 04-09-2012 11:42 AM

Thank you again for your help.... My god you all are amazing. How long did it take you to learn all of this stuff? I am continually in awe!

Thanks again!
Christian....
Posted via Mobile Device

Macrocosm 04-09-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1040663)
I didn't comment on the fish in my posts in the other thread as I didn't want to get into another subject with the problems you had. So now, here we go.

We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. If the scientific or common name is used in a post identical to the name in the profile, it will shade, as Glass Catfish did in your post. This means you can click the shaded name and see that species' profile. Info on water parameters, numbers (for shoaling fish), tank sizes, compatibility, etc. is included.

As you'll see from the Glass Catfish, it has specific needs with respect to water parameters, being soft water. Livebearers are medium hard basic water, so the two are not a good mix as someone is going to suffer. You also need a group, 5-6 of the Glass, and it needs lots of plants for security. A skittish fish.

Common Molly definitely must have hard water, as noted in the profile.

The Cory (if that is Corydoras aeneus or Brochis splendens, whichever) is adaptable, as is the Pristella Tetra, to slightly acidic or slightly basic water. Both are shoaling so a group is needed, 3-5 of the cory and 6+ of the Pristella.

If you know your tap water hardness and pH, it will be easier to decide on fish. The GH you can find out from the water supply folks, they may have a website. pH you can test, shake the water briskly to de-gas CO2 before testing tap water pH.

Byron.

Btw..... How long do I have to wait before I can start adding more fish??? My tank looks pretty sparse with the small community I have now. Thanks!!

I am itching to add more fish!!

I know I know patience patience young grasshopper......

I am really fighting with my type A personality on this one!

Byron 04-09-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macrocosm (Post 1041248)
Btw..... How long do I have to wait before I can start adding more fish??? My tank looks pretty sparse with the small community I have now. Thanks!!

I am itching to add more fish!!

I know I know patience patience young grasshopper......

I am really fighting with my type A personality on this one!

Once the plants are established, add fish a few at a time. In another thread plants were mentinoed, some are stem plants and these are fast growers so very good at removing ammonia.

Don't know the GH and pH of your tap water yet, so hard to say which fish.

Macrocosm 04-09-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1041257)
Once the plants are established, add fish a few at a time. In another thread plants were mentinoed, some are stem plants and these are fast growers so very good at removing ammonia.

Don't know the GH and pH of your tap water yet, so hard to say which fish.

Don't know the GH yet.... But was told by the pet store it was really hard.
Aquarium home parameters are:

Temperature: 78
Ammonia, NH4: 0.5
Nitrate, NO3: 0
Nitrite, NO2: 0.25
pH: 7.8

for date: April 9, 2012
Posted via Mobile Device

Hanky 04-09-2012 08:53 PM

seems like your tank is still cycling, I would hold off on more fish untill you have a 0 reading on ammonia and nitrite, then add a few at a time. Meanwhile use the fish profiles like Byron suggested to see what else you may want, consider getting rid of glass cats or livebearers


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2