Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   freshwater fish id help not an easy one!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/freshwater-fish-id-help-not-easy-98262/)

Aty 04-08-2012 07:16 PM

freshwater fish id help not an easy one!!

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all, I caught this guy in a local freshwater stream and cannot id him. I went through 986 photos at fishbase with no luck. Anyone have a clue??

nwachter 04-08-2012 09:09 PM

I'm thinking Farowalla or Whiptail catfish. Where do you live that could maybe help.

Aty 04-08-2012 09:17 PM

I live in Tampa,Florida. I netted this guy in the upper hillsborough river in heavy grass over hard bottom in quick moving water.

Aty 04-09-2012 02:39 PM

Thank you, I believe your right this is a farlowella. I was looking for a north American fish and it didnt occur to me that it might be otherwise. Florida is full of invasive south american fish.This particular steam/river is also full of pleco's and tilopia so I should have guessed. Again thank you for the ID!!:-D

nwachter 04-10-2012 12:11 PM

no problem

Termato 04-10-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aty (Post 1040053)
Hello all, I caught this guy in a local freshwater stream and cannot id him. I went through 986 photos at fishbase with no luck. Anyone have a clue??

Yeah I agree looks like a Farlowella

Did you end up keeping this little guy?

Aty 04-10-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 1042058)
Yeah I agree looks like a Farlowella

Did you end up keeping this little guy?

Yes, he is in a 55g with natural plants and other native fish. My wife enjoys our canoe trips to the river so she can (scoop) with her dip net and catch local stuff. I had to start that aquarium to keep her catches..lol

Termato 04-10-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aty (Post 1042098)
Yes, he is in a 55g with natural plants and other native fish. My wife enjoys our canoe trips to the river so she can (scoop) with her dip net and catch local stuff. I had to start that aquarium to keep her catches..lol

That is awesome!!! I am so jealous!! Nice!

You should take a picture! I would love to be in an area one day that I can do that.

Aty 04-10-2012 02:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 1042100)
That is awesome!!! I am so jealous!! Nice!

You should take a picture! I would love to be in an area one day that I can do that.

These are just a few of the upper hillsborough river/stream. On the trip that we caught the farlowella she also got a female flag fish,a sand darter,a few least kilifish,dozens and dozens of ghost shrimp,sailfin mollys,rusty shiners and released untold numbers of mosquito fish and assorted guppies.

Termato 04-10-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aty (Post 1042160)
These are just a few of the upper hillsborough river/stream. On the trip that we caught the farlowella she also got a female flag fish,a sand darter,a few least kilifish,dozens and dozens of ghost shrimp,sailfin mollys,rusty shiners and released untold numbers of mosquito fish and assorted guppies.

I'd love to spend an afternoon or day there. Jaw Drops. You caught all of those fish on one trip! NICe!! That's AWESOME!!!

What about pics of the tank!?