Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Why is impeller rattling

12K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  tommy ivers 
#1 ·
Every time I do water change and turn off filter (eclipse w/bio filter), then turn back on it rattles...filter will stop running. Then sputter and rattle back to life. I turn it on and off to get it going. Even after it's running it'll continue to rattle intermittently. I've made sure there is nothing obstructing the inflow. Is it time to replace?

#3 ·
Thread moved for you.

Have you tried cleaning the impeller itself? They can get pretty gunky after a while. I have to clean all of mine every few months or so.

#6 ·
the one in my kids tank was doing this forever. i took it out and it was completly seized up. i took the shaft out and freed everything up. the shaft was worn to the point that there were grooves in it. i believe this was the original one and is well over ten years old. i had a new one onhand so i just tossed it it. i kept the old one just incase the new one craps out for any reason.

#9 ·
rattling filter

am new but read a lot. looks like everyone knows you clean impellers. I just started out with an aquarium but have read a lot on the Internet to be dangerous! Will be getting 2 guppies to start out next week while my little 10-gallon tank chugs away to start cycling.:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.