Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Patience is key but.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/patience-key-but-9813/)

Little-Fizz 12-06-2007 11:04 AM

Patience is key but....

I've been cycling my 28 gallon tank for 4 weeks now. Ammonia is 0 Nitrites are either 1.0 or 5.0 (I know big difference but I couldn't really tell and I didn't have enough time) And nitrates are 40. I know the best thing to do is wait, but I really want to get my fish out of my ten gallon and put them in the new tank. I'm sure doing a small water change wouldn't be a big deal right? I just want some peoples opinions. My nitrites are like stuck, well not really but they have been this high for so long and I'm thinking a little water change might be all it needs to start going down. What do you guys think?

willow 12-06-2007 11:09 AM

hi
the thing is... that if you put them in you risk loosing them. :(
if you are that desperate(i know the feeling)why do you not
go to your LFS and ask them to donate some floss
or a squeezing,for your tank ?
however the other thing would be to add something hardy
danios perhaps ?

Little-Fizz 12-06-2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow
hi
sorry i can't remember... what fish do you have ?

4 Swordtails, 3 shrimp, and 1 apple snail.

Holly 12-06-2007 11:14 AM

The nitrite levels would make me nervious. If my nitrates were at 40 with fish in it, I would just so a water change and watch it but being unsure of what the nitrites are at and your nitrates being high, I would do anything for the time being. Sorry. I'm going throught the same thing except my fish are in the tank and it's nerve wrecking since I never know if or when I'm going to loose someone. I wouldn't suggest putting you in that position.

My shrimp were always very sensative to my nitrites changing. The swords were ok but not good

willow 12-06-2007 11:14 AM

sorry i ment to read the tank blurby thing. lol
so i changed it.

Little-Fizz 12-06-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly
The nitrite levels would make me nervious. If my nitrates were at 40 with fish in it, I would just so a water change and watch it but being unsure of what the nitrites are at and your nitrates being high, I would do anything for the time being. Sorry. I'm going throught the same thing except my fish are in the tank and it's nerve wrecking since I never know if or when I'm going to loose someone. I wouldn't suggest putting you in that position.

My shrimp were always very sensative to my nitrites changing. The swords were ok but not good

Thanks, I don't mean like I want to do a water change and add my fish right away. I ment I wanted to do a small water change to help dilute it a bit so I can put the fish in sooner then later. Sorry I should have been more clear on that.

Little-Fizz 12-06-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly

Thanks, I don't mean like I want to do a water change and add my fish right away. I ment I wanted to do a small water change to help dilute it a bit so I can put the fish in sooner then later. Sorry I should have been more clear on that.

Lol just to be more clear, So maybe in another week I can add fish rather then two.

Holly 12-06-2007 11:34 AM

I would do a small water change a night and look at it again in a week. You might be good by then. If the nitrites drop down and the nitrates stay at 40, I would add 1 or 2 fish and see what happen

Little-Fizz 12-06-2007 11:37 AM

Thanks! But I don't think I'll be risking my little fishies lives. I'll just do a small water change today and wait a little while and if I see a change in nitrites and nitrates then great. But if my nitrates are still at 40 I'll be doing little water changes to see if I can't get it to go down before I add the fish. Thanks again.

okiemavis 12-06-2007 03:25 PM

If your 10 gallon is well established, you might as well put in some water from that when you do a water change, or stick a sponge filter in the 10 gallon for a few days and then put it in the larger one. Lotsa good ways to use your already established tank!