Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   cause of stem rot? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/cause-stem-rot-98034/)

Chris7 04-06-2012 02:42 AM

cause of stem rot?

I though I would start a new thread because I found what is causing some of my plants to lose there leaves and look brown. The stems are rotting, and I have no idea why? I'am pretty new to caring for live plants, my moneywort and one of my other stemmed plants which I can't think of the name at the moment has this happening to them?
I'am really at a loss right now, I've up graded my lighting, and now adding the suggested fert once a week. Sorry if I haven't given enough info to start but i'am at work and this is really bugging me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 04-06-2012 06:33 AM

Stem plants will usually produce roots from the first node on the stem, everything below that node will die off.

So if on a large plant you cut the stem right above a node, leaving a 1.5" or so length to the next node, that entire 1.5" section will die off and new roots will form at that first node giving you a new stem plant.

Romad 04-06-2012 07:34 AM

I've had that happen before only to find out that the plants I purchased were not true aquatic plants after all.

Geomancer 04-06-2012 08:42 AM

True, he said in the previous post it was Moneywort, but I guess we don't know what the actual plant is. So many go by the same common name. I think, but am not sure, that Bacopa monnieri is aquatic.

Byron 04-06-2012 09:59 AM

From what you (Chris) posted in the other thread, this could be due to not removing the elastic band. As i suggestesd there, separate the stems before planting so they are not tight together. And too tight of a band will pinch the stems, preventing the transfer of water and nutrients.

Another possibility is the plant adjusting to different environment (water parms, light, nutrients).

Or a combo of these and other things.

redchigh 04-06-2012 02:33 PM

I've also had it happen from bruising the stem during planting...

Chris7 04-06-2012 06:12 PM

Sorry I did'nt get back sooner guys I was snoozing(working midnights). Anyways the moneywort is an aquatic plant I still have the tag that came with it and the scientific name is Bacopa monnieri and that is aquatic right? I'am pretty sure it was the elastics that did it, I've since took the elastic band off and also trimmed the stemes up past where the stems where rotting and replanted them, more apart this time. I hope they live? But one of my Hygrophilia's also had this problem, It was losing leaves and the stem was rotting? But my other Hygrophilia is doing just fine, but the other day I did move the one that is having trouble to the back of the tank. Could I have damaged the stem by mistake and not realized it, I'am learning as I go here just hope I don't kill any plants in the proccess:-(.

Byron 04-06-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris7 (Post 1037815)
Sorry I did'nt get back sooner guys I was snoozing(working midnights). Anyways the moneywort is an aquatic plant I still have the tag that came with it and the scientific name is Bacopa monnieri and that is aquatic right? I'am pretty sure it was the elastics that did it, I've since took the elastic band off and also trimmed the stemes up past where the stems where rotting and replanted them, more apart this time. I hope they live? But one of my Hygrophilia's also had this problem, It was losing leaves and the stem was rotting? But my other Hygrophilia is doing just fine, but the other day I did move the one that is having trouble to the back of the tank. Could I have damaged the stem by mistake and not realized it, I'am learning as I go here just hope I don't kill any plants in the proccess:-(.

It's difficult to know, but we may be talking two separate issues here. The rot caused by the elastic squeezing the stem is likely in the one case, and yes, Bacopa is an aquatic stem plant. And something similar may be the second (Hygrophila) too. But what I mentioned previously about light reaching the lower leaves is another issue and maybe the cause of the Hygrophila. I had H. corymbosa and H. difformis that both just wasted away leaf by leaf from the bottom up due to light. I am not going to increase my light just for a plant or two, so out they went.:-)

Chris7 04-06-2012 07:47 PM

That just what happened to my Hygrophila, it just start to waist away from the bottom up. But the second one I have closer to the front of the tank is doing fine? I liked this plant because of it's bushy full look, If this plant won't work in my tank what would you suggest Byron? I'am looking for something to fill in the background and that is easy to grow under Med. light.

Byron 04-06-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris7 (Post 1037909)
That just what happened to my Hygrophila, it just start to waist away from the bottom up. But the second one I have closer to the front of the tank is doing fine? I liked this plant because of it's bushy full look, If this plant won't work in my tank what would you suggest Byron? I'am looking for something to fill in the background and that is easy to grow under Med. light.

The only stem plant I have had good growth from under moderate light is Brazilian Pennywort. This is now the only stem plant I bother with. Though I do intend to try a couple others some day to see if I have any luck.