Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   HELP 5 dead fish!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-5-dead-fish-98025/)

Egrant 04-06-2012 12:28 AM

HELP 5 dead fish!!!

Hey guys need some help.loseing fish left and right due to ich. I got the filter ready to put the meds in, as i am going to put it in, with my luck, the stuff expired a year ago.... Think i should use it? I am not sure if it is bad or just less potent??????????? I will not be able to make it to the pet store and treat the tank tomorrow night, I only see two maybe three more fish that might have it.......

HELP

excal88 04-06-2012 12:40 AM

Hey there. First, can you post the water parameters of your tank? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp? Also, according to your other post, the fish died suddenly? How many white cysts were on each fish when they died? Usually ich doesn't cause sudden death in 1 day. Please post up as much info as you can.

Egrant 04-06-2012 12:47 AM

Just tested everything, water looked pretty good, temp is 80. PH about 7.8 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between first two colors of 0 and 5.

The whit spots were really small so they may have been there a little bit. Plus i changed my light out this weekend to half blue half white. I can see it a lot better with the dumb blue lights off. The two fish that i saw tonight before they died were pretty covered. few left in the tank that have it now does not seem to be as bad but noticable....

excal88 04-06-2012 01:01 AM

Ok, good water parameters is a good first step. Secondly, I'd start raising the temperature of the tank slowly to 84-86 degrees F. This speeds up the life cycle of the ich parasite, and at that temperature it will kill them before they get a chance to multiply. Also, if you do have ich medication, using it at the raised temperature would be the best as it targets the ich parasites in their free-swimming form. Keep in mind that you should increase the temperature slowly, like 1-2 degrees every 12 hours, and add extra aeration since there will be less oxygen in the water with the increased temperature. Keep the feeding to a minimal so you won't have to worry about water parameters as much.

Egrant 04-06-2012 01:09 AM

thanks excal, Should i just wait till i can get to the store tomorrow night or should i use the expired stuff i have?

ladayen 04-06-2012 01:15 AM

just wait, it's possible the chemicals have seperated and you could wind up poisoning the fish.

Egrant 04-06-2012 01:18 AM

turned up the temp two degrees, will keep my fingers crossed not to lose anymore till then!

excal88 04-06-2012 01:29 AM

Yes, as ladayen said don't use the old medication. They have expiration dates for a reason ;)
In all honesty Ich is one of the few diseases that you don't necessarily need medication; you just need some aquarium salt and increased temperature.

Egrant 04-06-2012 01:32 AM

I have heard such mixed stories about the salt. You always use it or only when you need to? SoCal here as well! The great Antelope Valley HAHA

excal88 04-06-2012 03:34 AM

I personally don't use aquarium salt as I have scale-less fish and plants, but its supposed to help the fish. Yea, I'm more in the O.C. area. Hahaha.